Pitting and Age of Hudson Bay Beads - a question

Learning4Life

Sep 27, 2024
Does the pitting on these Red Whiteheart beads indicate anything about age or history? These beads are about 3mm. I can't find any resources with specifics about pitting or patina on glass beads of any origin. Can I use pitting to be certain about any characteristics of these beads? For example, is pitting a distinctive quality of unearthed beads, ancient beads, or both?
IMG_6991.jpeg

Upvote 1
Now I do not know much about beads but I do know quite a bit about glass. That "pitting" is more than likely not pitting at all. Rather most likely it is devitrification that occurred during the process in which they were made. It has to do with a crystalline structure that forms during one of the times it was heated/cooled during the manufacturing process. The only way that glass is pitting is contact with hydrofloric acid or something which would leave more of a frosted look. The other option is the composition of the glass was so off that some other weird stuff can happen. This is unlikely though as this would more than likely make the glass unworkable.

White hearts maybe.
I'd be reluctant to call them H.B. beads. Or old.

The orange peel I haven't noticed on beads. New or old, buried or worn.
I suspect an agent in the process of making reproduction beads on the cheap. A release agent or something.
In paint , oils or other contaminants can do that.

Without knowing who made them and thier recipe and process it's a guess. They should certainly know though.

Glass window plate used to come from it being floated on tin as it began to cool. (Float Glass.)
Wouldn't imperfections from that surface of the molten metal show?
No , I don't know of beads made that way , but there's a lot unknown about your samples creation.

White hearts maybe.
I'd be reluctant to call them H.B. beads. Or old.

The orange peel I haven't noticed on beads. New or old, buried or worn.
I suspect an agent in the process of making reproduction beads on the cheap. A release agent or something.
In paint , oils or other contaminants can do that.

Without knowing who made them and thier recipe and process it's a guess. They should certainly know though.

Glass window plate used to come from it being floated on tin as it began to cool. (Float Glass.)
Wouldn't imperfections from that surface of the molten metal show?
No , I don't know of beads made that way , but there's a lot unknown about your samples creation.
The release agent is on the inside. Beads are made by wrapping the hot glass around a rod with watered down clay slurry(or more modern is a kiln wash) as a release. So I'm 99 percent sure it is devitrification. And on float glass is still made on molten tin. you won't see imperfections on the surface, but the side touching the tin does get a thin film on it even though it is nearly impossible to see. You can actually tell which side is the tin side by dropping a water droplet on it from a certain distance and and watching how it hits and physically reacts.

Does the pitting on these Red Whiteheart beads indicate anything about age or history? These beads are about 3mm. I can't find any resources with specifics about pitting or patina on glass beads of any origin. Can I use pitting to be certain about any characteristics of these beads? For example, is pitting a distinctive quality of unearthed beads, ancient beads, or both?
View attachment 2171221
Reproduction bead.
Anything "Hudson Bay" has been plagiarized to death by sellers.

Original beads were not so exact in color.

The release agent is on the inside. Beads are made by wrapping the hot glass around a rod with watered down clay slurry(or more modern is a kiln wash) as a release. So I'm 99 percent sure it is devitrification. And on float glass is still made on molten tin. you won't see imperfections on the surface, but the side touching the tin does get a thin film on it even though it is nearly impossible to see. You can actually tell which side is the tin side by dropping a water droplet on it from a certain distance and and watching how it hits and physically reacts.
Mandril wound beads are wrapped over a clay or similar residue on the wire to prevent sticking.
Venetian beads early on showed the residue in many centers.
Tube beads are drawn? Allowing multiple layers including colors. Note Chevrons as examples.
Were original heart beads simply tube beads ground on the ends?

Your Divit mention is noticed.
Anything above 1350 F will be eligible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back