βœ… SOLVED Piece of an old gate?

Reminds me of a engine mount for a tractor, mower or car possibly. Always fun to find mysteries! ...Aggravating as well.

Upvote 0
How big is it? Are those screws, or rivets?

Upvote 0
They're probably rivets. There is no threading whatsoever.

EDIT: I should probably add that it fits into the palm of my hand.

Upvote 0
My best guess is that it is the top half of an old shutter hinge.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• $T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8IiBQWn!NW3Zg~~60_3[1].jpg
    $T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8IiBQWn!NW3Zg~~60_3[1].jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 204
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
That would actually make sense, as I had a heavy suspicion that the field/copse was a former homestead based on the things I was finding there. I did find a bottle dump with old mason jar lid fragments (they're white, not intact but I have all the pieces - will post pics when the glue sets). Also found a few old pieces of "silver"ware (spoons and such). It's a real shame that my area's local history is not well-documented; the closest public library is two towns away, and old pictures are virtually nonexistent online.

It's quite the opposite of my hometown about 30 miles to the south - the local history is far better documented. I suppose this could be because my current area is Mennonite land, but I wouldn't know :banghead:

EDIT: Inasmuch as the piece I found is the same general shape as the shutter hinges in the picture, mine is far more plain... would you think this to be typical of groups like Mennonites? Asking an honest question here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Many shutter hinges were plain jane .. that just happens to be a fancy version.

Upvote 0
Okay, I guess I should have known that :icon_scratch:

Another question... is there a forum on TNet that discusses maker's marks?

One of the spoons I've found in that field has the name FAIRFIELD and a trifold symbol of a crescent moon, crown, and circumpunct (a dot inside a circle). Google says it's a still-existing sterling silverware company, but this spoon has spots where the copper core is showing through. If it's silver, it'd be silver plate and no better, but I wanted to make sure...

Upvote 0
Post a photo of it here on the What Is It forum .. I am sure somebody will be able to help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back