Piece of 8!

bigjerryok

Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piece 1.jpg
Piece 2.jpg
Amazeballs! Been sitting in my nearly junk tray for ages but tonight a pal told me this was a piece of 8. Buzzing! Shown next to UK sixpence. The Piece of 8 is about 3cm square and 0.5 cm thick. No scales to weight it, but it feels chunky. Can anyone help on ID please? Cheers! (and YAY!)

Upvote 21
You'll have to clean it some. Try the Andre's pencils, I found they are much better than chemicals.

Well it's a Mexico City minted cob based on the shape of the cross. That's all I can tell from the details so far visible.

Outstanding find! :occasion14:

Tell us the story of the find! :icon_thumleft:

wow I hope when I clean my scrap pile I find one that is really cool tell your friend thanks4giving me a heads up

Thanks for the comments, guys. The reality is that I can't remember where I found it ... thought it was a piece of junk, it's probably been lying there in my "to identify" tray for several months. Doh! Might be from a beach, or from a (trading?) field where I have had contemporaneous overseas tokens / coins from Spain, Portugal, Zeelandia etc. I live in Great Britain.

You'll have to clean it some. Try the Andre's pencils, I found they are much better than chemicals.

I agree on cleaning it up! The rust that has accumulated on the piece from the rusty Iron and Steel pieces also in your' finds bag, throws the appearance off as Silver does not rust. A monitored Peroxide bath might help in removing the rust and any other accumulations on the surfaces of the piece as well.

Very nice.Congrats

Junk Tray, love it!

Smokester, I checked, Andre's pencils are NOT for silver! Might try the old baking soda, aluminium foil and boiling water instead, but must get some of pencils and try 'em out on some of my cruddy finds. Cheers!

Nice. Cant imagine cobs are found much in the UK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back