Pick, axe, hatchet?!?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I found this walking around the beach one day at a fresh water lake in Oklahoma. It was amongst other iron looking things and some a large piece of a broken salt glazed jug. The discoloration looks like oxidized copper but it does have patches of iron rust on it (maybe from the other things near it). Any help on nailing this one down would be nice, thinking of restoring it but didn't want to mess it up if it happens to be something important i should turn over to somebody else.

Pretty sure it was used in logging. They could bark the tree with the blade and use the hammer to drive in the dogs or hook. Probably when pulled by mules. I have one just like it that I dug. I dug the hammer and some hooks together. Lets see what the experts say.

Upvote 0
Their were other metal things around, one almost looked similar in shape to an boat anchor but in pieces that were all put together (maybe some sort of old equipment).

I did not try to stick a magnet too it, yet.

Upvote 0
To me it looks like a blacksmiths hot chisel. Here are a couple of pictures.
blacksmith chisel.jpgOn the left is a hardy, which is placed in the square hole in the anvil, and is used to cut off hot metal, by hitting the red hot iron when it's placed on the hardy. On the right is a hot chisel with a handle, and the red hot iron is placed on the anvil, and the chisel is hit to cut it off. The handle keeps you from hitting your, or your helpers hand.
blacksmith chisel1.jpg Another view of the same thing, hardy on the right, hot chisel next to it.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay.
The logging hammer and the coal hammer were in the dungeon. The dogs are pictured below. They can look like large curved scissors also.
Hope this helps I think mine is just like yours.
photo copy 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay.
The logging hammer and the coal hammer were in the dungeon. The dogs are pictured below. They can look like large curved scissors also.
Hope this helps I think mine is just like yours.
View attachment 1036945

View attachment 1036946

I think you had a blacksmith shop in your logging camp. Top one is a cold chisel and the bottom is a hot chisel. Barking logs was done with a spud.
bark_spud.jpg Here's a spud. The reason I know this is because I helped bark a couple of logs the boss donated to the museum for a display of a steam donkey, and using the barker in the mill, the logs wouldn't look right. Of course now the logs are all weathered and you can't tell, but the thought was right I guess.
cutting-chisels.gif

Upvote 0
I think you had a blacksmith shop in your logging camp. Top one is a cold chisel and the bottom is a hot chisel. Barking logs was done with a spud.
View attachment 1037013 Here's a spud. The reason I know this is because I helped bark a couple of logs the boss donated to the museum for a display of a steam donkey, and using the barker in the mill, the logs wouldn't look right. Of course now the logs are all weathered and you can't tell, but the thought was right I guess.
View attachment 1037014

Makes sense as everything was hand forged.Coal was common.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back