✅ SOLVED Pic of unstruck pennies

C

Carl in CO

I found these slugs in a penny roll a few years back. I am wondering if anyone can tell me anything about them. They appear to be unstruck pennies. Their diameter is a fraction less than a penny. They appear to be the same width. They have more of a rounded corner. They don't have that sharp ridge that you feel when you run your thumb over the corner of a penny. This is my first post, so I hope the pic comes out ok. Some questions:
Are they unstruck pennies?
If so by what process did they get missed?
Do they have any value?
How would they be authenticated?
Where is the market for them?

Attachments

• Unstruck Pennies 1.jpg
    Unstruck Pennies 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,778
  • Unstruck Pennies 1.jpg
    Unstruck Pennies 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,017
Are they blank on both sides? Someone here should be able to give you some helpful info. They do appear to be just that though, unstruck pennies. Nice finds. HH.

Upvote 0
Years ago I got one in change but have since lost it. It is got to be worth some thing to a collector as a mint error. nice finds best of luck finding out what they are worth.

Upvote 0
i don't believe they are slugs most slugs don't have the ridge around the edge as these appear to have. most slugs just are the right size and weight of a coin. i think they are just as everone is saying an unstruck penny blank.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a copy of the Blackbook guide to coins. It describes them precisely. It refers to them as planchets. They were cut from the rolled stock. But due to some error, they didn't make it to the die press. They are worth about a dollar each. See there, I answered my own question ??? duhhh Anyhow, we all know what "planchets" look like now.

Upvote 0
Item of curiousity Carl. You said they were slightly smaller in diameter than a struck penny. Is this to say that the striking process brings a coin to it's final size? Did they mention this in the article you read? ~CO2

Upvote 0
It did say they are slightly smaller in diameter in its description of planchets. I infer from reading the rest of it that they are slightly expanded when the cap die clamps down.

Upvote 0
Yeah ,pretty cool you learn something new everyday.Too bad theres no way to date them.Except maybe by copper content? ???That would take an expert though.... :( H.H.

Upvote 0
to find the year i would say go with the year on the coins that did make it to the press---if it was full of different years on the pressed coins then the blanks are probably slugs used to fill the rolls to make some money---would seem to a waste of time for a few cents perroll---but if they had lots of change and traded the rolls in hundreds or thousands of dollars at a time in all the denominations---then might have been worth while---IF all the coins were from the same year then i would say chances are good it came from the mint that way---but the one that is pressed in the pic doesnt appear to be mint

Upvote 0
three steps. They feed the coil through the punch to stamp out the planchets. When they get done the scrap looks like that perforated galvanized metal on your furnace filters. They then get the edges raised to cut down on coin wear then they get stamped with the designs. exanimo, ss

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back