pic-nic areas and dirt piles

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Last year the local parks and recreation department put in a new walkway around an old lake. This area had been a magnate for pic-nics for years. My friend, Ed, and I had found some very good items in the scooped out area for the new walkway, as well as on the piles of dirt from their excavations. I have been waiting patiently for them to take down the dirt piles so I could search where they put the dirt. I noticed the other day that they had done so. I couldn't find where they put all the dirt, but I did notice about 6 or 7 little circles of dirt maybe 6 feet in diameter spread out near the new walkway. I guess they're going to plant some new trees or something. Anyway, I started hunting those little dirt circles hoping there were some good targets in them. The first three circles only contained some clad pieces. But, in the fourth circle I got another quarter signal. Up popped this dirty quarter, which I swore was another clad piece. But, I thought I saw some silver shining through the dirt, so I rinsed it off in a nearby puddle. And, lo and behold, it turned out to be a 1920 Standing Liberty Quarter. I've found a few of those lately. This one has some "environmental damage" on it. But, I'll take it. Next I hunted in the trail of dirt they had spread out where the dirt piles had been. There I found a few more clad pieces and a 1917 Mercury dime. Not in real good shape, but I'll take that also. After that, I hunted near a couple other pic-nic areas, which produced a little silver ring, a Statue of Liberty watch fob and an Al Smith campaign medal from the 1928 presidential election. (He lost, of course.)

Here's the Stander:

ALSMITH 001.JPGALSMITH 002.JPG

The Merc: ALSMITH 003.JPGALSMITH 004.JPG

The little ring: ALSMITH 008.JPG

The Watch Fob: ALSMITH 005.JPG

The campaign medal: ALSMITH 006.JPG ALSMITH 007.JPG

If you don't know who Al Smith was - he was the first Catholic to run for president. He lost and there wasn't another Catholic to run until JFK.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent finds from them circles of dirt for sure :thumbsup: love them old silvers but I like the Lucky Pocket Piece even better :cool:

That is some great detector-work there. Great job on the recoveries. NICE stuff!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back