paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the third pewter relic from this site that I've had trouble identifying, but I think this one has the best odds of someone here recognizing. I was re-examining the finds from my latest trip to the site, when I noticed there was some small block lettering on this spoon handle. It's not like the C. Parker & Co maker's marks I usually see on locally dug pewter spoons and it's also different from owner's initials.

DSC06007.JPGDSC06008.JPGDSC06012.JPGDSC06014.JPGDSC06016.JPGDSC06018.JPG

I included a few photo angles in case that helps with contrast. I can make out most of the letters, but the words don't make much sense.

MTANNIA
M_TALI (Alternatively _ETALL)

I'm not too confident on the second "M" since it doesn't match the size of the first and I can't make out the second letter of the second word, although it superficially resembles an E, F, or P. The last letter could be an I or an L. What do you guys think?

Britannia Metal (maybe with two L’s?)

That's it! I found this courtesy of the German language Wikipedia:

Britanniametall, auch „Britannium“, ist eine Gruppe von Hartzinn-Legierungen mit ins bläuliche neigender, silberweißer Färbung. Das Zinn ist mit Antimon legiert, meist zusammen mit Kupfer, zusätzlich auch mit Nickel, Blei und Bismut.

It would seem that this is a German made spoon of Britannia Metal hence the double L spelling. The first M must be an R and an I close together and the B must have been softly imprinted or corroded off entirely. Thanks nhbenz!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back