terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a Colonial site I have been hunting and have no idea what it might be. I wondered if it could be an old cuff button. The back shows what appears to be marks left by the mold. The front has what appears to be a raised number "7". It is 12 mm in diameter. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

P1010389.jpgP1010390.jpgP1010394.jpg

Upvote 0
It is one cool find for sure. If i was to try to tell you what it is I'd be lying, But if you will post it on the Whats it forum, Those guy's are the Best and will tell you all you want and need to know............Merry Christmas and ..............................HH

Its not a button but a 'tack' with a broken pin/nail. It must have acted as some kind of marker but unsure what.

Its not a button but a 'tack' with a broken pin/nail. It must have acted as some kind of marker but unsure what.

Thanks, I thought the broken "shank" seemed a little small.

Thanks, I thought the broken "shank" seemed a little small.

I seem to remember these being associated with Railways, but might be wrong.

It appears in one of the pics, that it has a hole in the stud sticking out of the back. Is this true Terpfan? Did find an example of an Arabic "7" button in Don T's new book. Under, "Massachusetts Grand Army of 1775" buttons. Button looks too early and crudely made to be associated with a railroad. Classified as....AMG7a. ...Enlisted mans pattern. Divided dot border with concentric rings with raised Arabic 7.- 22mm (smaller cuff buttons are prob 12mm).....BUT..... it goes on to say that THERE ARE "borderless" varieties. Borderless examples are from Continental Regiments from 1776. Pg-220-222, of Insignia of Independence. The "7" is pretty close to an exact match. That's what I'm going with!:thumbsup: Nice Find!

Last edited:
It appears in one of the pics, that it has a hole in the stud sticking out of the back. Is this true Terpfan? Did find an example of an Arabic "7" button in Don T's new book. Under, "Massachusetts Grand Army of 1775" buttons. Button looks too early and crudely made to be associated with a railroad. Classified as....AMG7a. ...Enlisted mans pattern. Divided dot border with concentric rings with raised Arabic 7.- 22mm (smaller cuff buttons are prob 12mm).....BUT..... it goes on to say that THERE ARE "borderless" varieties. Borderless examples are from Continental Regiments from 1776. Pg-220-222, of Insignia of Independence. The "7" is pretty close to an exact match. That's what I'm going with!:thumbsup: Nice Find!

I never said button, therefore railway tack/marker could work although that bit was a guess, it might also be a telegraph pole number/marker or anything else made of wood. However, I'm 100% sure with that broken squared pin (never seen one on a pewter button) that its not a button. Plus the 7 looks wrong & is more prominent than the usual casted types.

Last edited:
timepassages on Etsy
http://www.firstmilkmaid.com/2010_01_01_archive.html
http://cabinethardwareideas.com/18-ways-to-add-new-life-into-your-hardware

'They are pewter/gun metal colored BUT they are a "rustproof white brass" as indicated on the back of the box. The top of each measures approximately 1/2 inches in diameter or just a little smaller than a dime. They are on the original cardboard "box" and it is dated "1948". These were originally utilized to mark lockers, stock bins, drawers and windows. Utilize them as is or paint them, gold leaf them etc. These do have "tack" backs just like an upholstery tack'

Last edited:
Terpfan......Clean this find up a little better, (especially the face without damaging it of course), and also see if it's a hole I see in the side of that stud. Post some better side pics of the side of the stud. Thanks.....Hogge

:icon_scratch:

All the pewter Buttons I have seen have the seem down the back :icon_scratch: All the Tacks, including Pewter were domed on top not flat, and none had a 7 :icon_scratch: Perhaps the loop has broken off..:dontknow:

SS

Last edited:
18 Ways To Add New Life To Your Hardware

This is what you are looking for. I have dug these before and thought they were buttons as well, I found mine next to an old furniture manufacturer, I just did not know that part then.

John

:icon_santa: no help here, sry but Happy Holidays

timepassages on Etsy
first milk: January 2010
18 Ways To Add New Life To Your Hardware

'They are pewter/gun metal colored BUT they are a "rustproof white brass" as indicated on the back of the box. The top of each measures approximately 1/2 inches in diameter or just a little smaller than a dime. They are on the original cardboard "box" and it is dated "1948". These were originally utilized to mark lockers, stock bins, drawers and windows. Utilize them as is or paint them, gold leaf them etc. These do have "tack" backs just like an upholstery tack'

Cru and genlee, I think you nailed it. The face is identical to the barbed 1948 tacks in your link, as is the font of the 7. The tack on the back is not centered and seems to be pretty crudely manufactured, so I thought that it might have been older. Too bad there aren't any photos of the back of the tacks shown. Hogge, I'm sorry the photo was not clearer. There are no holes in the "stud". Thanks so everyone!

Neat looking find no less...................HH

Neat looking find no less...................HH

As I have never had one over here, it would be a keeper. They must be more of a US thing rather than British, because loads of furniture gets dumped in my fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back