Petersburg Dug Confederate Civil War "I" Coat Button

F

floatcopper

Petersburg Dug Confederate Civil War "I" Coat Button

My ebay find for today makes me feel AWESOME!? ;D

This SUPER find came from a private land owner near the Petersburg battle site.?

This is of course a Dug Confederate Civil War "I" Coat Button. Man! what I'd give to dig one of these myself! But, I don't have access to those properties? :'(

What do you think? I love it. I prefer dug artifacts to non-dug any day.

I'll never sell it but what would be your guess as to it's value?

Thanks!

floatcopper

Upvote 0
Re: Petersburg Dug Confederate Civil War "I" Coat Button

In that condition?

$7 to $10 tops on ebay.

HH

Lonewolfe

Man... I saw this post header and I got all excited... I was hoping you were digging in Petersburg...

We're going to be there in a couple weeks and was going to ask you where a good place to hunt is...

Doing the Colonial Williamsburg, Petersburg, Richmond, Monticello trip... I bet I could snag a few finds...

Only problem is with the VA MD laws, the only thing getting pinpointed would be my but in the pokey... :-[

lonewolfe said:
In that condition?

$7 to $10 tops on ebay.

HH

Lonewolfe

The price you suggest would be about right for a very common Union Eagle in very poor condition. However, Confederate artifacts is a whole new ball game.

Check with the online dealers and ebay. Bent-up and corroded CS infantry buttons can bring anywhere from $100 or more depending on exact type. Mint condition common infantry type buttons can be $800 or more.

My botton has it's back and has a solid front. It's easily worth $120.

T-Rex said:
Man... I saw this post header and I got all excited... I was hoping you were digging in Petersburg...

We're going to be there in a couple weeks and was going to ask you where a good place to hunt is...

Doing the Colonial Williamsburg, Petersburg, Richmond, Monticello trip... I bet I could snag a few finds...

Only problem is with the VA MD laws, the only thing getting pinpointed would be my but in the pokey...? :-[

Sorry to get you excited but it's against my beliefs to lie and say I dug something when I didn't. But, I did get a good chuckle out of your comment ;D

I know what you mean--I'd love to hunt those areas myself but I'm not fond of the slammer. The people who own the lands around the park are the folks you need to talk to. This is true with any of the parks. People rarely think about hunting just outside the "off limits" areas.

Hey Floatcopper... did you get an ID with the button from the seller?

i.e. CSA184

I have a price guide but there are 17 different CSA Infantry buttons, all with the classic "I"

I can tell you the values range from $50 to $800 in excavated condition, and my guide is 7+ years old...

If you can come up with the ID# I can give you the value, at least as it was in 1998... :)

floatcopper said:
T-Rex said:

Only problem is with the VA MD laws, the only thing getting pinpointed would be my but in the pokey...? :-[

Sorry to get you excited but it's against my beliefs to lie and say I dug something when I didn't. But, I did get a good chuckle out of your comment? ;D

I know what you mean--I'd love to hunt those areas myself but I'm not fond of the slammer. The people who own the lands around the park are the folks you need to talk to. This is true with any of the parks. People rarely think about hunting just outside the "off limits" areas.

VA law now now says (as of 07/01/05 anyway) that you have to posess a signed & dated permission from the landowner or you're off to the pokey... apparently verbal permission isn't enough anymore... ???

T-Rex said:
Hey Floatcopper... did you get an ID with the button from the seller??

i.e.? CSA184

I have a price guide but there are 17 different CSA Infantry buttons, all with the classic "I"

I can tell you the values range from $50 to $800 in excavated condition, and my guide is 7+ years old...

If you can come up with the ID# I can give you the value, at least as it was in 1998...? :)

I don't have the ID just now but next time I can catch the digger I'll see if he knows.

I did do some searching on my own but I couldn't find a single example with the lined "I" ...ever see this before? All I've seen have the smooth "I"

Seems to me that I have... probably in Gettysburg Cycloroma museum... ever seen the stuff in there?

Well by deduction I can further pinpoint what it could be since it is lined and it's obviously not the old english or german type text it has to be a plain Roman lined "I"

Here are the excavated prices for those:

CS172 = $100 - $150
CS173 = $200 - $250

T-Rex said:
Seems to me that I have... probably in Gettysburg Cycloroma museum... ever seen the stuff in there?

Well by deduction I can further pinpoint what it could be since it is lined and it's obviously not the old english or german type text it has to be a plain Roman lined "I"

CS172 = $100 - $150
CS173 = $200 - $250

Thanks much, T-Rex!

If I'm going to keep buying these buttons I'd best get a book. Any suggestions?

floatcopper said:
T-Rex said:

CS172 = $100 - $150
CS173 = $200 - $250

Thanks much, T-Rex!

If I'm going to keep buying these buttons I'd best get a book. Any suggestions?

Well I use the North/South Traders... you can find it on ebay or amazon usually... you can bet the prices are the same or higher since this stuff doesn't depreciate...

If you're planning on collecting buttons I'd opt for a more comprehensive guide with more descriptive photos... be forewarned you're getting into a very expensive field, particuarly when you're talking CSA buttons... some of those could run you $300 to well over $5K a pop... and beware of clever fakes... chinese have flooded the market with realistic looking crap...

I'd love to collect them but if I paid even $500 for a button she'd neuter me... :o I'm going to have to find mine... :(

I hear ya T-Rex! ;D

I'm so poor I couldn't pay the tax on a free lunch. :-\

I've seen some of those prices you're talking about. I've seen lots of "deals" on ebay but I pass up almost all. Like you've said before, "if it looks to too good to be true..."

The guy I got this button from has tons of feedback and I think it's 100% positive.

I watch for a few deals but I won't be able to buy much more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back