Persian Copper and Cambodian Silver

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of my favorite garage sale finds over the past couple of weeks: I got a copper chalice from a Persian who said it was from Persia. It has a great patina on it, but does anyone know how to get verdi gris off without removing the patina? It is 8" tall and weighs 1 pound and 7 ounces. A similar one is listed with another piece here. I also got a silver bowl from someone who said it was "real silver" that she got in Cambodia. I didn't recognize the marks and knew nothing about Cambodian silver, but she only wanted $5 for it so I took the gamble. It acid tests as silver and weighs 172 grams. The mark seems to suggest it is 90% silver, but I can't read the rest of the marks. Here is a short article on Cambodian silver. The only sizeable silver pieces I have gotten recently have been unusual international pieces.

IMG_0004_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0003_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0006_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0007_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0008_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0009_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0011_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0012_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely pieces! What time frame/era would something like that be? Thanks.
The Cambodian silver is probably fairly modern. Probably a cheaper piece made for the tourist market. Some Cambodian silver is quite elaborate. I don't know about the copper Persian piece. The patina is quite deep and rich like an old penny. I haven't been able to find much about Persian copper work. I did get that one from a Persian immigrant, but he didn't give me much history about it. At least I can be fairly sure it is not a tourist piece.

Here is a bowel that sold at auction that is marked similar with the T90
Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.36.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.37.31 PM.png

Item Details​

Description​

Cambodian Khmer style silver bowl having floral and garland decoration below rim. Marked to underside. Measures 4 7/8" diameter. Total weight 5.7ozt.

What are your concerns with the other piece? It looks really great just the way it is actually.
Maybe a picture of the area showing the verdigris.
@Tom_Restorer is the master of restoration and he can direct you on any concerns.
Here is his person page, top notch work and knowledge.

What are your concerns with the other piece? It looks really great just the way it is actually.
Maybe a picture of the area showing the verdigris.
@Tom_Restorer is the master of restoration and he can direct you on any concerns.
Here is his person page, top notch work and knowledge.
Thanks for the tip about Tom. The spots aren't large, but I do have other old copper pieces I would like to restore without removing the patina.
IMG_0024_edited-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back