Perhaps a Mano?

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
I was crossing one of the (now dry) small "feeder creeks" this afternoon and paused to scan the stream's bank.....always try to....well heck, what is that..?
I started to push on by but my mind's eye saw "mano" so my foot got to the brake instead.

We have never had a tool like this one. We have grinding platforms and perhaps a Metate or two, but nothing that looks like this tool.

I am very happy that I enjoy looking up pics of tools on line....that is the only reason I stopped.

So, would this be considered a Mano? It could also be called a Hammer-stone or a
Pecking Stone. The usual NA Multi-tool .

Thanks.

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6508.jpeg
    IMG_6508.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
Upvote 6
I’ve found a few like that as well. I couldn’t convince myself that they were artifacts. It’s quite possible that they were used for pounding/crushing food, but no proof that they were man-altered. IMO

I don’t know if it’s a tool, but it’s a cool rock either way.

I think it’s natural with the correct shape. The material doesn’t look like a type that would be use for grinding or as a hammer. Those types of artifacts have to be a solid and dense material. Keep looking

I can't determine if the surface has peck marks dimples interspersed on a polished ground flat area.

if so, then it points to use as a Mano or food prep tool.

if not, then could be natural.

thanks for the comments! I pick up about anything so it is good to have feedback so I can learn a little.

A couple closer shots in case there is something to be seen.🤷‍♂️

vfm

Attachments

• IMG_6522.jpeg
    IMG_6522.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6519.jpeg
    IMG_6519.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6516.jpeg
    IMG_6516.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6517.jpeg
    IMG_6517.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Don't see signs of pecking or signs of grinding in pictures that I can see, a Mano should show signs of being smoothed by grinding if it had much use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back