Percussion Pistol?

Spats

May 8, 2015
Central Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This piece is seven inches long and weighs about 3/4 pound. A .45 caliber Colt bullet slides into the barrel easily. It shows no signs of rifling. It appears to have had a side hammer and has a vent on the right side where the hammer would have hit. The barrel appears to have been longer and is broken off. The only marking I can find is a depressed circle around a smaller raised circle just behind the barrel on the bottom. Any ideas what this is? Thanks.

Attachments

• Relic I.jpg
    Relic I.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 120
  • Relic II.jpg
    Relic II.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Relic III.jpg
    Relic III.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Relic IV.jpg
    Relic IV.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Relic V.jpg
    Relic V.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 121
Part of an old automobile "tie rod" maybe? The small hole would have had a grease-irk in it for lubricating the larger hole joint.

Upvote 0
I posted this in December and didn't get much response. I don't think it is part of a tie rod, but may be wrong. Can any gun experts weigh in and at least let me know if you think this is firearms related? Thanks and apologies for reopening a dead thread.

Upvote 0
It does resemble one.... the problem I see it there's no real evidence (in the pics) of a nipple on it, if you can find a flash hole leading into it, then that would confirm it.

Upvote 0
It does resemble one.... the problem I see it there's no real evidence (in the pics) of a nipple on it, if you can find a flash hole leading into it, then that would confirm it.

Picture number 3 at the two and a quarter inch mark I do believe that is the nipple

Upvote 0
It looks like a gun barrel to me I don't see tie rod JMO is there any grooves in the hollow tube part ? swirl marks

Upvote 0
Looking at pictures 3 and 4, the "barrel" looks to be tapered. That makes me think it may not be a pistol.

Upvote 0
Looking at pictures 3 and 4, the "barrel" looks to be tapered. That makes me think it may not be a pistol.

They made all kinds of boot pistols

Attachments

• 1453427778629.jpg
    1453427778629.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
One thing is for sure, it's definitely not a quarter.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your responses. The barrel is tapered from one inch outside measurement to about .82 inches at the end of the barrel. The inside is approximately .47 inches and appears to be consistent at that measurement from front to back. Relic lover is correct. There is a hole between 1 1/8" and 1/ 1/4" in picture three and it is lined up well for a hammer on the right side. It measures approximately .1" and isn't very deep, possibly due to rusting inside. The biggest mystery to me is the cutout on the left side that measures about one inch across. It is directly opposite the hole on the right side that may have been the attachment point for the hammer. Thanks again for all your input.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back