✅ SOLVED Percusion Caps

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these this morning at a Civil War Battle site. They have been reenacting there for 4 or 5 years.. Been a city park for 10 yrs.. Are they 1864 time period??? Caps.jpg

Far from an expert but I'd have to say no to them being CW-period. I've never encountered any Period ones which were black like those, generally they have a copper or grayish-green patina (depends a lot on the soil and their composition) and don't fan out as dramatically as those have.

Here's some CW-era greenish ones...

And coppery looking ones...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Far from an expert but I'd have to say no to them being CW-period. I've never encountered any Period ones which were black like those, generally they have a copper or grayish-green patina (depends a lot on the soil and their composition) and don't fan out as dramatically as those have.

Aw Bummer............ Thx dude

Upvote 0
The caps shown by mirage83 have not been fired. You appear to have caps that have been fired. That said, I think your find is modern CCI caps from one of the reenactments you mentioned. Note the photos of the unfired caps have four flanges which would cause them to split four ways when fired.
caps1.jpgThese are fired period caps, note the 4 way split.
caps.jpgThese are modern CCI caps, note the six flanges on the cap, which would cause them to split 6 ways like your find.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update BosnMate. I've never found any cw-era caps which were flanged out that way, but I now know what they'll look like if they are. I was presuming that due to their construction or materials they simply didn't expand like some more modern ones do. The ones I've used on blackpowder revolvers certainly didn't, but they aren't constructed the same.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back