Penny missing part of date

TerriBose

Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PENNY-date.jpgPENNY.jpg

I posted this penny before but the photos were bad. Do you think it is counterfeit?

No not a counterfeit! Just a 192? Lincoln Cent struck with a clogged Die (i.e. grease or debris filled the last digit of the Date on the Die).

Frank

so I guess there is no way of knowing the date?

so I guess there is no way of knowing the date?

There is a way to determine the Date but it is tedious, not perfect, could take months to years of research and could end up being very expensive. It entails matching characteristics of the Dies (i.e. the Die Markers) and especially so on the Obverse Die used to strike your' coin. Not every Obverse Die and not every Reverse Die produced for a Production Year are the same. Most of the characteristics such as Polishing and/or Grinding lines and marks, Gouges, Breaks, Dots, Clashing/Counter Clashing, Die Doubling and any other ding or dent that ended up on the Dies used to mint/strike your' coin, will show show on your' coin. The problem sometimes in matching a specific Die to the characteristics it left on your' coin is whether your' coin was struck during an Early Die Stage/State (EDS), Middle Die Stage/State (MDS) or Late Die Stage/State (LDS) of the Die. So in essence, whether your' coin was struck before or after certain characteristics showed up on the Die or before or after some or all were removed from the Die. You would have to have access to all the records showing all of the characteristics of every Die used in the 1920's at the Philadelphia Mint and the Dies used in striking the 1922-"No D" Cent at the Denver Mint and also for every Stage/State of life of these Dies. The records are likely available as many Coin Researchers, Coin Graders and some Collectors have studied the Dies extensively. However, I have no idea as to how obtainable all these records are! Copper Coins (A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage) has an extensive database on Lincoln Cents that are Varieties which includes some or all of the Die Stages/States but they do not have or keep records on normal Lincoln Cents.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back