Pennsylvania Water Panther Petroglyph

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this well known petroglyph along the Allegheny River a few years ago while performing a freshwater mussel survey. Thought it was pretty interesting and worth a share. The link is a post from a PA Archeology group documenting the Petroglyph and discussing Native American use within the Allegheny River.
http://twipa.blogspot.com/2012/05/clarion-county.html
Water Panther.jpg

Upvote 14
Thank you for a fascinating post! I grew up in Seneca territory in New York and have been interested in the history of the region since then. I read the blog post which is loaded with information. I have never found a petroglyph but have found a few points and pottery shards.

I live in Clarion county about 5 minutes from Cook Forest. It's a nice place to explore.

Even though the carving is rather crude, the shape of the head, the claws and tail capture the essence of a mountain lion pretty well. No doubt that’s what it is.

Finally a rock with actual art on it for once. That is really cool. Thanks for sharing and not being someone with periodlia 😆

AMazing rock. I wonder how old it is and what tools were used to carve it Thanks for sharing

Tha's very cool. I'm glad it hasn't been vandalized. What would you estimate the dimensions of the figure to be?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back