jack787

Jun 27, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

So the first 30mins of some very soggy VT MDing (in the yard) found a whole lotta nails and this.

Penn Coin.JPG

My wife guessed it was a toll token, but its kinda thin. I don't know either way as we don't have tolls in Scotland!

It's single-faced, with "seal of the state of Pennsylvania" printed around the main design. Its very light, but strong (nickel?). Its been chewed up by a mower at some point but I cant bend it, although it seems flimsy.

Thanks,

J

Thanks mical. Not sure if I'm being welcomed to the site or your homestate :P

The token is single-faced. The obverse is shown, the reverse is blank.

J

Upvote 0
well i should have said welcome to T net..lol
but if you do visit Tennessee feel welcomed in advance :)
as for your token , my first thought when you said it was thin but real strong and looking at it it looks like a seal or decal of some type . and since it has one side and the other smooth it sounds more like that instead of a token. but i am guessing only . lets wait and see if a token expert will chime in .

Upvote 0
it is the states seal but i have no idea what it could have came off of . if it was a state seal token it would have been 2 sided . so i still think it was stuck to something at 1 time.

this came off wiki =
Description[edit]

The obverse of the seal has a central image of a shield containing a ship under full sail, a plow, and three sheaves of wheat. These symbols represent the importance of commerce, labor, perseverance, and agriculture to the state's economy, as well as several of its geographic components (Philadelphia represented by the ship, for example). On either side of the shield are a stalk of Indian corn and an olive branch, representing the state's recognition of its past and hopes for the future. Atop the shield an eagle proudly symbolizes the state's sovereignty. The outer ring of the seal bears the words "Seal of the State of Pennsylvania," despite the state's official designation as the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The reverse side, or counterseal, pictures Lady Liberty dominating Tyranny in the form of a lion, along with the warning across the top, "Both Can't Survive."

Upvote 0
welcome to Tnet !

I agree, not a token in the real sense.

Would have been encased in , or pasted to something , where only one side was needed to be seen. possible a Souvenir or some kind

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back