Pennsylvania Railroad find - what is it?

Stegner

Jan 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC, Whites Prizm 5
I'm in central Jersey - the site I was exploring was an old farm site from 1800's through mid-1900's. I found this tag - here's what I know:
Pennsylvania RR ran very close to this site - maybe a mile or two away.
Manayunk is apparently a bridge area in Philadelphia northside area where PennRR had facilities.
Note the small text at top, above strap slot, where the words "New York" can be read. There are small text above that - perhaps a manufacturer name?
Could this be a tool tag, a bag tag or something else?
I first soaked this, then used electrolysis - but finally resorted to tumbling this to get it cleaned up. Note the two colors of the metal - gray and copper-like. What am I seeing? Did I do damage by the electrolysis?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• PennRRfobfrontcompress.jpg
    PennRRfobfrontcompress.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 358
  • PennRRfobbackcompress.jpg
    PennRRfobbackcompress.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice! Here's the email reply I got - GREEN CHECK!

This is definitely a commercial baggage tag used by the Pennsylvania Railroad.
For some reason the PRR used the "From" language on many of their tags.
Typically "Depot" tags (ones with a specific location on them) are very early. The PRR is an exception and your maker alone tells me that. Yours is an American Railway Supply Company which is post 1893. This is "late" for brass baggage tags. Many lines were using card-stock by this time.

I am no PRR expert by any means.
I think using google or similar search engine with both map and word usage you could try the location name with "Pennsylvania Railroad" to get more info on this specific place.

Because of the pitting it won't be a top shelf value but there are collectors looking for unique locations.
There is an inverse collectibility to size of a location. (nobody wants New York and everybody wants a place like Podunk Junction).

I hope this helps some -

Regards - Scott Czaja

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back