Pennsylvania Rail Road item

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
I got out for a short hunt today in my neighbors yard. I was digging alot of trash when this popped out. My XLT called it a solid 93 at 10 inches. I have never found anything shaped like this before. I thought it was a hotel key fob when I first saw it. It is 2.19 mm thick and solid brass. It is marked - PRR on one side and 1272 on both sides. What sort of tag is this, why is it pointed at the base and why so heavy? I also found 6 new cents, an old spoon and a handfull of pull tabs. It's nice finding something different. Thanks for looking! DD

Attachments

• prr.JPG
    prr.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 234
  • prr.JPG
    prr.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 231
It could be a specialized tool for setting gaps or checking tolerance. Like a feeler gauge...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Took me too long to type :-\

It looks to me that there were scribed lines on the front that were then cut out to make the notch. That would maybe make this some sort of gauge used to check the size of something or used to mark/scribe two lines that were an exact distance apart.

I don't know all the ways the Pennsylvania railroad marked things but if it was something "official" I would think it would have the logo rather than just the initials.

My guess is that is a shop-made (numbers appear hand stamped) gauge to check something being machined or a distance/clearance for something mechanical.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back