Pennsylvania find; No clue?

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found behind an early 1900s high school; I sent a pic to my buddy and he found one of these as well in the past in our area. We live south of Pittsburgh, PA.

Photo Jan 17, 6 03 06 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 17, 6 03 20 PM.jpg

It says: "Lift the dot" on the top of it. We are thinking something coal miner related? Any help appreciated!

For those reluctant to click on hotlinks:

"Lift the dot fasteners were first invented to hold curtains back on horse drawn carriages. They then moved into the military industry used for keeping satchels bags closed and also gun holsters shut. Due to their strength and durability they elevated onto the marine and automotive market. Lift the dots are unique as they are locked on three sides and can only be opened by "lifting the dot" on one side. This is always marked with a dot on the socket. The prongs on the socket come in two lengths to accommodate different thickness of material. There are many types of studs also, again to entertain the thickness of material or the material they are being fixed too. Lift the dot fasteners are now used on a wide range of things including classic car hoods, military satchels, marine covers, boat canopies, vintage pram covers, narrowboat cratch cover, pram hoods and we even had a cattery purchase quite a few to be used for attaching cat hammocks to scratching posts."

PS: First patented in 1907, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back