Pendant or Buckle?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter posted this pic on another thread.
IMG_2372.jpeg
These are usually called gorgets and are supposedly pendants. I think they were belt buckles. Metal buckles are ubiquitous and go way back in Europe. It seems to me that NA Indians would also use belts with buckles. I made a two hole gorget and attached it to a piece of leather. It works fine and looks good. Just throwing this out there. I love experimental archaeology and I’m always looking outside the box for answers.
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg
IMG_2377.jpeg

Upvote 10
Interesting theory but Native American were wearing and trading them from first contact. Sometimes they were stacked on a necklace for adornment. Thus the holes..
images.jpg
oceola-painting-by-george-catlin-smithsonian-01-wiki-1149x1400739x900.jpg
Joseph_Brant_2_by_Gilbert_Stuart_1786_shell_gorget-wiki-750x900-1.jpg

Interesting theory but Native American were wearing and trading them from first contact. Sometimes they were stacked on a necklace for adornment. Thus the holes..
The silver gorgets in your paintings were trade items provided by Europeans.
IMG_2379.jpeg
Metal gorgets are military decorations that go back to Roman times. The fragile shell gorgets in the last pic were definitely worn around the neck. If you can find a painting by Catlin or Bodmer showing a stone gorget worn around the neck, I’ll be a believer. In the mean time, I’ll stick to my idea.

The silver gorgets in your paintings were trade items provided by Europeans. View attachment 2108952Metal gorgets are military decorations that go back to Roman times. The fragile shell gorgets in the last pic were definitely worn around the neck. If you can find a painting by Catlin or Bodmer showing a stone gorget worn around the neck, I’ll be a believer. In the mean time, I’ll stick to my idea.
There's a old say take this a grain of salt-many have viewed the sellers items and let's just say the salt shaker is needed.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
an interesting point. I never thought about how a gorget could have been used as a belt buckle.

Treasure_Hunter posted this pic on another thread.View attachment 2108696These are usually called gorgets and are supposedly pendants. I think they were belt buckles. Metal buckles are ubiquitous and go way back in Europe. It seems to me that NA Indians would also use belts with buckles. I made a two hole gorget and attached it to a piece of leather. It works fine and looks good. Just throwing this out there. I love experimental archaeology and I’m always looking outside the box for answers.

Interesting concept, but I have also never seen antique photo or classic painting showing one used as buckle either. Unfortunately not enough portraits from 1800s to verify a lot of it.

1000003342.jpg

1000003343.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back