CoinmasterP

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2012
Pioneer valley, MA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted this in today's finds as I didn't see this separate more appropriate forum. Apologies if you've seen it twice. Looking for any info on these spoons. They are pewter and I'm fairly sure were made by John Yates Makers marks look lol IOHN YATES. They have an eagle with shield, e pluribus unum banner, olive branch? I see that one sold some years back but I need a Worthpoint account to view the specifics. Does anyone have such an account? It's listed as " Historical Eagle Patriotic Shield Antique Pewter Spoon" Any help on date and value appreciated. Thanks !

Attachments

• image-2058075366.jpg
    image-2058075366.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 224
Here's the Worthpoint listing :) No photo of the hallmarks just a closer view of the eagle design.

Attachments

• patrioticspoon2.jpg
    patrioticspoon2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 139
  • patrioticspoon.jpg
    patrioticspoon.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
Thanks! Looks like someone got one for a steal! That listing says 1840-1880 for a date but based on the makers mark it looks much more likely to have been made 1830-1840 by John Yates. Looks like Yates changed his mark several times. A timeline I found doesn't show how his mark changed but it does say he entered a partnership with birch and spooner in 1829. And they used a mark of yb&s. so presumably this mark is from before that time?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back