Patented March 9th, 1915 mystery item

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I'm posting a summary of my last 2 outings.

First yard - Mostly clad and some sort of brass hardware ring.

yard1a.png

Not sure what this crushed ornate object is. there is a small hinge-like area on the back, perhaps it was a broach or something?

yard1b.png

And I got my first silver coin, so awesome digging something bright white compared to long buried clad and copper.

yard1c.png

And here is all the finds from my backyard in the few days I've hunted it. No modern coins at all yet. Newest coin is a 1950's wheatie. I hit it again last night and got some promising signals but the yard is full of an ashy fill material once you get 4 inches down. I get alot of false hits with my pin pointer since some of the clumps of rocky concrete like fill have junk metal in them. I want to keep at it though.

yard2a.png

Found a cool dog license from 1934, didn't hit any bones around it thankfully

yard2b.png

And that brings us to the mystery item. I believe it is copper, my heart raced when I dug it because at first I thought it was a very large coin until I saw the squared end. There is tiny iron pin running through the square section almost like it was a hinge, making this a small copper lid I'm guessing.

yard2c.png

It wasn't till i cleaned it off a little that I noticed it says on the back "Pat March 9 1915" I'm clueless as to what this could have been. If it was just a simple container I doubt it would be patented. I tried doing a little searching on the internet but I have absolutely nothing to go off of. Any ideas at all?

yard2d.png

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
Cool batch of finds! I wonder if that little flapper could be from an old down draft carburetor?

Looks like an old lock plate cover. Nice find! :thumbsup: Here's a similar one that I found.

IMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back