Other

Attachments

• 20231022_113558.jpg
    20231022_113558.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20231022_113617.jpg
    20231022_113617.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 62
Hi, my name is Deb. I'm a rockhound...help identify what it is from...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: TENNESSEE for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0
I don't know what it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dog. The oldest known dog is from about 14,000 years ago -- too young to be a fossil. Earlier than that, it would have been a wolf. But it actually kinda resembles the fossilized cat footprint at the top of this article.

Upvote 1
Welcome to one of the finer forums :)

Upvote 0
As far as the print goes could it be a bear. I know you have bears in Tn

Upvote 0
Hi, my name is Deb. I'm a rockhound. And I've been focused on fossil finds lately. Well I found this partial paw print in the creek behind my house (nashville tn) and was wondering if anyone could help identify what it is from. I'm thinking a dog. But would like to make sure before labeling it for my records.
Neat find...

Upvote 0
Canine and bear tracks usually show the marks of claws at the ends of the toes. Felines have retractable claws, which usually do not show in tracks.

Upvote 1
Looks like bear to me, too. The toes depressions are there, but they do not go far enough to show claw marks. Claw marks would be out quite a bit further than the cast goes. Canines have 4 pads, bears 5 but the casts are partial so cannot count the pads. Size and shape appear to be bear.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back