Part 2

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I went one hill east of my previous finds. These were in a small, exposed area of a field that had been combined. A lot of these have great, thin, sharp edges. They mainly look like flakes that were left behind, and eventually got minor chipping to the thin edges (IMO). I don’t always show debitage photos. But, the amounts left in one spot surprise me. Hopefully there’s something even better, close by.

Attachments

• IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Upvote 6
That is some high quality Burlington flint. It looks like they were using it exclusively. That means there is a source nearby. How many miles is it to the Mississippi River? Are you located on a tributary of the Mississippi?

That is some high quality Burlington flint. It looks like they were using it exclusively. That means there is a source nearby. How many miles is it to the Mississippi River? Are you located on a tributary of the Mississippi?
I’m by a creek that feeds into the Iowa River. The Iowa flows into the Mississippi. The spot is about 10 miles west of the closest Mississippi backwater. I’ve seen a lot of flint in the Burlington area, about 29 miles south of me. I find only fragments of flint in my immediate area. I wonder if it was brought in from close by. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back