Painting Nelsons First Farewell

Elegance888

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have bought a painting (print i think )of nelsons first farewell (which is written on the plate at the bottom camara hasnt picked this up ),its in a very old tattered frame all taped up at the back too,the picture looks very old, the picture half way up on the left side has a bit of a tear,but the picture is still intact,and looks ok,size is 24 inch by 20 inches,can you tell me what its worth thankyou for your help :happysmiley:

Attachments

• Nelsons First Farewell.JPG
    Nelsons First Farewell.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Nelsons First Farewell (5).JPG
    Nelsons First Farewell (5).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 144
  • Nelsons First Farewell (4).JPG
    Nelsons First Farewell (4).JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Nelsons First Farewell (3).JPG
    Nelsons First Farewell (3).JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Nelsons First Farewell (2).JPG
    Nelsons First Farewell (2).JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 174
Google or Wiki George William Joy b.1844-1925? I believe.

Can't tell you what it's worth, but here is some history:
"Nelson's First Farewell, or Thirty Years before Trafalgar was painted in 1883 and exhibited the same year at the Royal Academy. Size: 61 x 40 in.

In one of the rooms at the Rectory, Burnham Thorpe, young Nelson bids his Grannie farewell. It was she who had trained him, and whom he loved as a mother.
Don.......

Thankyou, God will bring me to all he has for me God Bless 8-)

Thankyou Don for your information,hopefully someone will know what its worth,God Bless 8-)

A little more history:
Nelson's mother died when he was nine. Here he is dressed in his new midshipman's uniform and saying farewell to his grandmother on his first departure for sea in 1771.
Be aware that reproduction of this picture are abundant and popular.

Last edited:
if it is just a print how much would you sell this for Don,i also have chance to buy an oil painting signed g.wood its a scenery painting for £25 but i have checked his signature on a site and its showing he signed his full name Grant Wood can you shed any light on this i have the thread on this site,as i have been informed by the seller it is an original oil painting,i am quite new to this so i am doing quite bit of research into antiques.

Hey Elegance,

Before you go buying "art," perhaps you should educate your self sufficiently to be able to tell the difference between a painting and a print, at a glance.

Grant Wood had a very distinct style.

8049193_3.jpg

I'd let the market (like Ebay) determine the price.
And I wouldn't buy most anything based solely on the seller's opinion that the item was original--except maybe chewing gun in the original wrapper.
For that amount of money, get it authenticated or know the seller's reputation; perhaps a money back guarantee of authenticity.
Don....

Thankyou for all the information and help God Bless 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back