✅ SOLVED Padlock and Bale Seal

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first bale seal. Is it possible to identity it? I’ve read that railroads used them to seal boxcars. Could this be one? Also what kind of key would be used in this lock? It looks weird to me. Thanks for looking.

00161BCA-B3DB-4363-A5FD-40B733FB2F4B.jpeg
EA3EA458-E3E3-4AD1-8A11-B2AFA76BB223.jpeg
BBBBCD35-2A4F-4F2B-BD97-17BEFC3093C4.jpeg
5A294B98-8934-488E-8B0D-4DEB056F6274.jpeg
226F355D-D7F0-4A75-9DE9-64D68BDFA02F.jpeg

Really nice bale seal. Railways used them and some shippers used them on their freight. The lock looks like a railroad lock.

Upvote 0
i found a lock just like it that bale seal looks cool I love anything railroad

Upvote 0
The seal appears to have the letters HENDE???N &. Henderson is a pretty safe guess. But Henderson & who?

The logo says Brand Mark at the top in small letters. The center sort of looks like an art deco era rocket with banner across it.

bale seal.JPG

Upvote 0
The seal appears to have the letters HENDE???N &. Henderson is a pretty safe guess. But Henderson & who?

The logo says Brand Mark at the top in small letters. The center sort of looks like an art deco era rocket with banner across it.

Unless you turn is 180 degree and then it could be an ear of corn. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! My first thought was definitely “Henderson &”. I also was thinking it was a bird with a banner, now I’m thinking it could be a Zeppelin or rocket like you said.

Upvote 0
I think it says HENDERSON TRADEMARK UNITED .. My guess is a bag seal for potash or fertilizer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like the orange seal on this Peter Henderson & Co. seeds catalog.

Attachments

• Hendersonseeds.jpg
    Hendersonseeds.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
It looks like the orange seal on this Peter Henderson & Co. seeds catalog.

It’s funny I was just looking at Peter Henderson & Co, but couldn’t find any examples of their bag seals. I can’t believe you found it! That’s awesome! Thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back