P & R railroad cuff button can someone put a date on it ?

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
P & R railroad cuff button can someone put a date on it ?

i found this button tonight at a circa 1850's house P & R Pennsylvania & Reading RR
cuff button ? ? only 16mm wide the back is in bad shape i can see Horstmann Philida
unfortunately, i can't see if there is a WH before Horstmann there is enough space for it
though can anyone date this button by the "style" in the front ? instead of relying on the
backmark i'm hoping it's 1820 - 1850 :) instead of 1893 - 1935 either way it's my
1st RR button :) thanks for looking
IMG_5136_2.jpg

IMG_5137_2.JPG

Re: P & R rairoad cuff button can someone put a date on it ?

Mike there is a society for preserving the history of the Reading Railroad that has a museum. They may be able to research the info you want. www.readingrailroad.com Monty

Upvote 0

I am not finding it in Alberts--Railway buttons are not listed there.

It is NOT a military button--that much is certain.

::)

Sounds like the resource you need is Van Court's Transportation Uniform Buttons. (But I don't own a copy of it.)

Does anyone else have a copy?

-Buckles

Upvote 0

Have not found the button, but sorry, by the backmark it appears to be 1893 and on style of lettering used by Horstmann.

For information on trains, I previously have used the contact from Don's Depot website. He has answered my inquiries in the past.

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/index.htm

Don

Upvote 0

Monty said:
Mike there is a society for preserving the history of the Reading Railroad that has a museum. They may be able to research the info you want. www.readingrailroad.com Monty
Thanks for the reply and the link Monty :)
BuckleBoy said:
I am not finding it in Alberts--Railway buttons are not listed there.

It is NOT a military button--that much is certain.

Sounds like the resource you need is Van Court's Transportation Uniform Buttons. (But I don't own a copy of it.)

-Buckles
Thanks for the reply BuckleBoy :)
Don in SJ said:
Have not found the button, but sorry, by the backmark it appears to be 1893 and on style of lettering used by Horstmann.

For information on trains, I previously have used the contact from Don's Depot website. He has answered my inquiries in the past.

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/index.htm

Don
thanks for the reply and the link Don :)
i really should'nt have posted last night i was EXCITED and INPATIENT i used a tooth pic before i
posted hoping for an early RR button i cleaned it up this morning with hot peroxide and distilled
water and what i thought was Hostmann Philida turned out to be Horstmann Philadelphia which
dates it to 1893 - 1935 there are 2 railroads down the street from where i found it Reading Railroad
and Pennsylvania & Reading railroad i was goin to "delete" the post this morning because i had all
the info i needed after i cleaned it it sure feels good to see all the replys and people trying to help
me out with information on here :thumbsup: i'll try to control myself > more < next time :-[

-Buckles
[/quote]

Upvote 0
Re: P & R railroad cuff button can someone put a date on it ?

Nice find! :thumbsup:

Although Van Court's Transportation Uniform Buttons, Vol. I - Railroad does not cite a date for the variety with the Horstmann backmark that you describe, other backmarks for buttons of the same design— cataloged as "8/25, P & R, ampersand larger than letters"— range from 1872 to 1892.

Upvote 0
Re: P & R railroad cuff button can someone put a date on it ?

PBK said:
Nice find! :thumbsup:

Although Van Court's Transportation Uniform Buttons, Vol. I - Railroad does not cite a date for the variety with the Horstmann backmark that you describe, other backmarks for buttons of the same design— cataloged as "8/25, P & R, ampersand larger than letters"— range from 1872 to 1892.
Thanks PBK :)
that's the date range i was hoping for and i know you do have the sources and the knowledge
but, there is a web site i use unfortunately, i can't type it in because it has an icon i don't have
on my keyboard it's titled " Button Back Marks " WH Horstmann Phila date range 1820 - 1850
and it says Horstmann Philadelphia 1893 - 1935 and by cleaning it more i see there isn't
a WH UNLESS...... some of the older styles were made in 1893 too ? i'll take your word for it
though :) thanks much :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back