Attachments

• image-3388891943.jpg
    image-3388891943.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 113
  • image-4120433084.jpg
    image-4120433084.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 118
Howdy Samuel,

Welcome to this place & thanks for the frontal views of your owl. I don't believe you mentioned it's size, nor capacity. What's the base look like?

I'm getting a very 20th Century vibe from it.

red_owl_cup_by_stormphyre-d4txvm0.jpg

Upvote 0
My Mom had 1 exactly like that it is just a modern little planter for flowers sorry not old.

Upvote 0
It's definitely not modern, there are tool marks where the inside was carved out very unevenly and there are no houses up river from where I found it, just miles of river and a metro park

Upvote 0
...don't get me wrong but I do not believe that the native peoples in the area this would have come from have much of a wood carving tradition.

Upvote 0
Could you post some more pictures (including the inside) and put something like a nestle water bottle next to it for proportion. Thanks

As you also said it was wood so it could have been knocked off of someones dock and then it took a trip and got washed up on the shore.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, when asking to T-Net Members to ID an item, its best not to name the suggested categories...

Doing so, presupposes what it could be and leaves openings for arguements between the poster and those reviewing the posted item...

In fact, it could easily be an oriental import and have nothing to do with being a Native American relic...

Need pics of outside perimeter, bottom and inside....need to see tool carving evidence more clearly...

Also need dimensions such as height, width, capacity (8 oz, etc)

Weight and water displacement may point to wood options...

Worm holes?

Micro pics of grain...open, closed, etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2.13 oz. 3 inches tall 2.5 wide

Attachments

• image-4269174084.jpg
    image-4269174084.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1492652731.jpg
    image-1492652731.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 321
  • image-2176495521.jpg
    image-2176495521.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2225474412.jpg
    image-2225474412.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
I have also seen these and are modern era. At the latest 20th century. The best id say is 1930s-2013. ID say 1970s-2013

Upvote 0
It's definitely not modern, there are tool marks where the inside was carved out very unevenly and there are no houses up river from where I found it, just miles of river and a metro park

If it is wooden like you said, wood floats! It may have floated down the river. And just because its uneven doesnt really mean anything. Maybe somebody started on it and gave up to it broke and gave up. So they threw it in the river. I'm just saying. M not trying to be negative but I'm rather giving my opinion.

Upvote 0
attachment.php

Unless I miss my guess, those appear to be tooling marks from a saw and/or file. I would think that would leave out Native People as maker, unless done rather recently. I do not know how long a carved wooden object like this would survive in a wet aerobic environment. I cannot imagine it would last 100 years unless Lignum Vitae, or all heart Redwood, and it resembles neither.

Upvote 0
attachment.php

Unless I miss my guess, those appear to be tooling marks from a saw and/or file. I would think that would leave out Native People as maker, unless done rather recently. I do not know how long a carved wooden object like this would survive in a wet aerobic environment. I cannot imagine it would last 100 years unless Lignum Vitae, or all heart Redwood, and it resembles neither.

Second the file marks, looks exactly like that in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Got me stumped (pardon the pun)...

Sometimes one needs to touch, taste, smell, toss in the air, hold up to a light, or whatever, just to get a feeling of what it is...

Still in the hummmmmmmmmmmmm stage

Upvote 0
Ok so your right probably not an Indian artifact, I just like to speculate. Nevertheless I like it and it feels very unique. Thanks for looking

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back