ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found a oval shaped item that says "The Hub" Chicago on the front with the numbers 9370. It says something to the effect of "..call in case of clothing emergency" and says "Fine Clothier" on the back. I apologize for the poor quaulity pictures. It's about the same weight as a clad half dollar.

Is this old or more recent? Clothing tag? Zipper pull? I thought it was a nice break from those Lincoln Pennies whatever it is. Thank you for looking.

IMG_2416.JPGIMG_2417.JPG

Here is info on The Hub clothing store in Chicago I was able too find:

In 1884 Mr. Lytton took over a bankrupt business in Indianapolis, but in 1887 changed his location to Chicago, where he founded the Hub Clothing Store. From the beginning the Hub was a store with a character of its own and thousands of the older generation of Middle West citizens remember its business policies and dependable merchandise when there was nothing distinctive about the building it oc cupied at the northwest corner of State and Jackson. The Hub was a great clothing store in those days, had a splendid organization of personnel, and from the first the solid qual ities of the business were reinforced by unique and original advertising. Henry C. Lytton was always a liberal patron of newspaper and other advertising, and publicity was one of the means by which he created and built up a great institution. His sons came into the business with him, and the owners of the Hub have always been known as Henry C. Lytton & Sons. Mr. Henry C. Lytton was still active in the business when in 1912 the store was moved across the street to the great new Lytton Building, which after twenty years stands as the most notable of the loop edifices.

I would place that tag along the lines of 1920s

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information! I'm still not sure exactly what it was for but still a interesting find, it was only a few feet from the "Fraternal Order of Eagles" medal I found two days ago.

Upvote 0
To me it almost just looks like someone punched two holes in it for some unknown reason. Those holes dont look like they were there when the tag was made! I could come up with a 50 different ideas as what this may have been for but in the end I do not know what it was used for other then it being given too a customer for some reason.

Upvote 0
I thought it was a nice break from those Lincoln Pennies whatever it is.

Actually, my first thought was that it is an elongated penny.
I wonder if, because of the number stamped on it if it was used essentially like a store credit card? This is just a guess, but this was in line with a common enough practice of the day for retailers to do.
Similar idea; http://utsalibrariestopshelf.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/vaughans-first-credit-card/
or perhaps this was if you had items on layaway. But it seems like the serial number is needed to pertain to a particular customer, for whatever reason.... And that's all I can think of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nhbenz has it - this is a "pre-plastic" store charge card issued to a customer who had an account at the store. This prevented people walking in, buying stuff, and charging it to the name of some person in town. The owner of account #9370 would be issued one of these by the store, then would show it to the cashier instead of immediately paying for purchases.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the information. That was an interesting find and I learned something new.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back