Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I was detecting an old racehorse farm on Sunday morning and found an odd-looking oval iron horseshoe.
dontknow.gif

If anyone can tell me more about this piece I would appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• SDC10005.JPG
    SDC10005.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 90
  • SDC19992.JPG
    SDC19992.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 103
That is a corrective shoe for chronic lameness which requires support in the frog/heel region.

Upvote 0
That is a corrective shoe for chronic lameness which requires support in the frog/heel region.

Thanks very much for the info Mud Hut! :thumbsup:
Any idea if these are rare, as I've never seen one of these before or how old this one might be? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave

I've always heard them called support shoes. Tony

Thanks for your help Tony!
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the info Mud Hut! :thumbsup:
Any idea if these are rare, as I've never seen one of these before or how old this one might be? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave

Unfortunately, it is neither rare or very old ... A neat find none the less.

Upvote 0
This is a little more than a corrective shoe, a corrective horse shoe corrects the way the horse travels, stops it from interfering or over reaching with a hind foot and hitting the front foot. The shoe you found would more correctly be called a therapeutic shoe, and is designed to re-leave intense pain. You found the shoe at a race horse farm, and that tells me quite a bit about what was probably wrong with the horse. You've no doubt heard that horse racing is the sport of kings. In a way that's true, it costs a LOT of money to get a horse ready to race, even starting at 2 years old, and that's why the horses are raced at that age, which is really to darn young to be galloping a baby that hard, but because there is so much money involved they don't want to wait until they are three years old. So they end up with lots of feet and leg problems with the young horses, splints, ring bone, tendon problems, crushed heels, and even laminitis from the underage feet pounding the ground being galloped so hard. Laminitis (founder) is simply the separation of the hoof wall from the coffin bone, like tearing up your finger nail. One very bad problem caused by galloping young horses is navicular disease. The navicular bone is free floating deep in the foot, it's kind of a bearing for a tendon to pass over and connect to the coffin bone. Galloping a young horse hard can crack that bone, and you got a lame horse, and not much can be done for it. If your shoe is rolled at the toe to make it easier to break over when walking, and if the heels are swelled to stand the horse up straighter, then the horse probably had navicular problems. The shoe you found also tends to help a foundered horse, the projection from the heel of the shoe is to protect the frog from pressure, which causes the foot to expand causing the horse pain. Foundered horses can eventually be made sound, but it takes a long time, and they will probably always have to be shod to keep it from happening again. Anyhow, that's probably way more information than you were interested, but in a nut shell that's the reason for the oval shoe.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, it is neither rare or very old ... A neat find none the less.

Thanks for the info Mud Hut! :thumbsup:
Dave

This is a little more than a corrective shoe, a corrective horse shoe corrects the way the horse travels, stops it from interfering or over reaching with a hind foot and hitting the front foot. The shoe you found would more correctly be called a therapeutic shoe, and is designed to re-leave intense pain. You found the shoe at a race horse farm, and that tells me quite a bit about what was probably wrong with the horse. You've no doubt heard that horse racing is the sport of kings. In a way that's true, it costs a LOT of money to get a horse ready to race, even starting at 2 years old, and that's why the horses are raced at that age, which is really to darn young to be galloping a baby that hard, but because there is so much money involved they don't want to wait until they are three years old. So they end up with lots of feet and leg problems with the young horses, splints, ring bone, tendon problems, crushed heels, and even laminitis from the underage feet pounding the ground being galloped so hard. Laminitis (founder) is simply the separation of the hoof wall from the coffin bone, like tearing up your finger nail. One very bad problem caused by galloping young horses is navicular disease. The navicular bone is free floating deep in the foot, it's kind of a bearing for a tendon to pass over and connect to the coffin bone. Galloping a young horse hard can crack that bone, and you got a lame horse, and not much can be done for it. If your shoe is rolled at the toe to make it easier to break over when walking, and if the heels are swelled to stand the horse up straighter, then the horse probably had navicular problems. The shoe you found also tends to help a foundered horse, the projection from the heel of the shoe is to protect the frog from pressure, which causes the foot to expand causing the horse pain. Foundered horses can eventually be made sound, but it takes a long time, and they will probably always have to be shod to keep it from happening again. Anyhow, that's probably way more information than you were interested, but in a nut shell that's the reason for the oval shoe.

WoW! Thank you so much for this information BosnMate! :occasion14:
This certainly answers all of my questions as to what the use and function of this shoe might've been!

Thanks again,
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back