Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Can anybody give me the history behind this type of insulator?

This aqua insulator is about 4 1/4 by 2 3/4 inches. It has no cracks or chips but does have some bubbles thru out and it shows a little wear from being used and a little rust from being buried. On the dome the embossing has a large 6 then under that is W.Brookfield 45 Cliff St NY On the other side of the dome the embossing has CAUVET and under that is Pat Jul 25 1865 xxx xx 1870 (the xxx is too weak to read) Feb 22 xxxx (year is too weak to read).

Thanks,

Badge

Attachments

• Insulator.jpg
    Insulator.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,238
Yeah.... Those pesky old silver coins anyway HUH??? ;D ;D ;D

Tim

Upvote 0
That might be the strangest place I've ever heard of an old insulator coming from. I have a large collection of them including several Brookfields just like that, but all of mine came from old railroad grades in Illinois.

Upvote 0
Ken from Atlanta said:
That might be the strangest place I've ever heard of an old insulator coming from. I have a large collection of them including several Brookfields just like that, but all of mine came from old railroad grades in Illinois.

Ya, it kind of makes you wonder what it was doing there.

Maybe someone had a telegraph wired into the can ;D

Upvote 0
Along with Angelo's information:

Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Modern-684/Brookfield-insulator.htm

"Brookfield made insulators from the early 1860's through 1922, first in Brooklyn, NY and later in Old Bridge, NJ. The insulator you have is from the 1880's through the early 1890's due to the 45 Cliff Street address (Brookfield's Brooklyn office at the time). There are a number of styles that have this embossing, so I cannot be sure which you have from that alone."

http://www.nia.org/general/g_natpt1.htm

Look at CD 126 - I think that's yours.

Upvote 0
My grandma had a collection of these when I was young. I remember being told that they are slightly radioactive. Is this bunk? Has anyone ever heard this?

Upvote 0
daaaveman said:
My grandma had a collection of these when I was young. I remember being told that they are slightly radioactive. Is this bunk? Has anyone ever heard this?

Sounds like Grandma wanted to make sure you didn't touch them ;D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Along with Angelo's information:

Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Modern-684/Brookfield-insulator.htm

"Brookfield made insulators from the early 1860's through 1922, first in Brooklyn, NY and later in Old Bridge, NJ. The insulator you have is from the 1880's through the early 1890's due to the 45 Cliff Street address (Brookfield's Brooklyn office at the time). There are a number of styles that have this embossing, so I cannot be sure which you have from that alone."

http://www.nia.org/general/g_natpt1.htm

Look at CD 126 - I think that's yours.

Excellent! thanks for all the work on this Jim!

Badge

Upvote 0
daaaveman said:

Hum? Interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks,

Badge

Upvote 0
daaaveman said:

I'm thinking... bunk. :)

Although she may have believed that... I'm saying the "fact" is bunk.

Upvote 0
I agree. I've been researching and I can't find any reference to them being radioactive. Grandma was a country lady. Seems like I was told that the glass became slightly radioactive after being exposed to the electrical lines for years.

I'm not buying it now though. Must have been a tall tale.

Upvote 0
Seeing as where it was found I was going to suggest it was an elephant suppository, but I'm glad I didn't. Wouldn't want to look foolish. M :-[ nty

Upvote 0
hmmm maybe the farmer didnt see it in his beans and ate it......how big around did you say it was? ohh and if you find the car from my monopoly game there let me know my grandpa allways said "technology is great, we used to walk a 100 yards to the out house to do our duty.........now we do it where we eat and sleep.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back