Out of the blue .... at 1850 home .... what?

GoingDown

Jul 8, 2005
King William III Copper (1695-1703) Mid-Hudson Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
So early yesterday at an 1850 home locally ... spent a few hours TH'ing ... only to realize that it had been well dug before.? Nevertheless the fresh air and my EXII dredging up a bunch of clad and a couple of Wheaties....and just as I was getting ready to "pack it in" ... one final strong signal.?Its a heavy piece and solid brass! OK all....WHAT is it...and how the heck did it find its way to the Mid Hudson Valley in New York!!??

GD

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 593
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 595
  • 2005_1002Image0011.JPG
    2005_1002Image0011.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0
Its the bottom of a German 7.5cm shell case... Some people years ago including my german grandparents used to take old shells and use them in homes as decoration... They would carve flower designs in them and flare the lips to use them for flower arrangements :)

BTW... Maybe yours was an ashtray or a feeding dish for the kitty or bowser ;D

It's the base of a German ammunition round, the base of the brass casing. ?I'm not sure of the caliber. ?It was fired as the center dent is the fired primer. ?Probably a souvenir converted into an ashtray. ?Karlsruhe is about 1.5 hours from the area where I live. ? cool find! ?HH, Mike

ashtray, paperweight, dogbowl, doorstop, candydish, greatfind,

Interesting find, wtg and good luck

Great find.

It was definetly brought as a souvenir piece to the area. Nice Find. Hh

Neat!!!!

I haven't found one of those...... yet!! ;D

Really nice!!!

Nana ;)

what you have is called "trench art". The date is from when the round was originally manufactured. Without scratches or engravings you don't know when it was converted into a bowl. Can assume it was done by or for a world war one soldier. Should be some for sale on ebay if you want to get an idea of the value check for completed auctions. exanimo, ss

It looks like a a bench mark to me. Usually set in cement or set into a rock to denote a property line or survey. JIM

Cool find,

HH

Lonewolfe

Neat find, WTG!!!
I have a large caliber shell casing that belong to my grandfather. The round has been replaced by a piece of wood designed to look like the round and it has slot in the side to be used as pig'y bank...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back