OT: Memorial Day 2019

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I've made this post on quite few boards I'm a member of, I try to write a different one every year. I understand we are all free to celebrate it as we wish (One of many reasons we served protecting these freedoms). As always my reasons are to spark interest and healthy discussion among those who don't know. Everyone have a safe and happy Memorial Day!

MEMORIAL DAY 2019​

As we all set about getting to where we are going this Memorial Day weekend, with the freedom to celebrate as we wish, let’s take a minute to remember the cost of that freedom. Since 19 April 1775 when the “Colonists” entered into war with Britain, approximately 1,354,664 “Americans” have given their lives for this nation, with an additional 40,031 still uaccounted for, so in reality that number is approximately 1,394,695. That number does not include the number of innocent civilians killed by terrorist attacks, or as collateral damage.

These Americans have come in all colors, races, religions, and sexes, some hadn’t even become US citizens yet, but died for us, so I considered them to be Americans just the same. Some of us know someone who was killed fighting for and defending this freedom. Whether it was a long ago or recent relative, neighbor, coworker, parent, child, etc, we are not immune to the price paid.

Think about it, over 1.3 Million Americans have shed their blood, dying on domestic and foreign battlefields. As in the past, today we have families that have an empty seat at the table and for them family gatherings will never be the same. For a lot of them Memorial Day is spent gathering around a gravesite sharing stories of their “Hero” while shedding tears. In reality they are not just their heroes, they should be and are ours also.

So regardless of where or how you spend your “Hard Earned” 3 day weekend, remember the price paid, how many lives lost before they really started. Remember FREEDOM is not FREE, and has been paid for by those who loved us, loved this country, and loved life, the same life they gave for us.

The battle for freedom is never truly over, let their sacrifices not be forgotten, let the price of freedom not be forgotten, let them not be forgotten.

May God bless our nation and those who have protected it to their deaths. Everyone have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend, and remember to take a moment of silence to reflect upon the price paid for freedom and to remember and thank those whom paid for this holiday with their lives, America’s war dead!

Last edited:
Did the following deployments:

Operation Desert Storm 1991 w/ 7th SOS
Operation Joint Endeavor IFOR 1996 w/ 5th SOS
Operation Joint Forge SFOR 1998 w/ 711th SOS
Operation Southern Watch 1999 71st RQS
Operation Enduring Freedom 2001 711th SOS
Operation Enduring Freedom 2002 711th SOS

Upvote 0
My Granddaughter is at Lackland AFB now, going through Basic. I fly out for her graduation in July. Terry - 1/41 FA US Army 1973-'76

Upvote 0
Thank you, Mike, for your service and this post!

DHS Charter Member and 911 responder.

Upvote 0
Mike, your post should get infinite likes from people all over the world!

Upvote 0
Mike
Thank you and all that served and serving.
This great country owes you ALL a HUGE salute of gratitude for our Freedom.

Upvote 0
Thank you all the veterans

Upvote 0
As an Air Force brat living in Europe 71-75 and 82-85 my dad would be take me to the War Cemeteries in Europe. I remember shocking my dad with a remark (Bear in mind I was a 17 year old long haired metal head at the time, decked out in leather and Metallica concert shirts). As we were leaving one of cemeteries, I remarked "How can something so beautiful be born of something so ugly?". My dad about wrecked the car coming to a stop, asked me to repeat what I said, then asked who are you and where did you come from.......

Was one of my dads favorites stories to tell with the remark that every so often the kid surprises you by saying something smart or profound. I was an AF Brat, a title I wear proudly, from Dec 66 to Jan 86, and an AF member from Jan 86 to Sept 2008.

When I got stationed in Europe from 88-92 or was TDY there over the years I continued to visit those places wherever I went.

I have a love of military history, was heavily involved in POW/MIA, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day functions while I was in the Air Force.

I've seen my share of death over the years during my deployments and my ribbon rack reflects the fact that I was not home very much during my almost 23 years in uniform. I make sure to remember all the people I've known over the years that have died in combat, it's my honor and privilege to remember them, to honor them and tell their story.

Ribbons 01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back