sellig

Greenie
Aug 14, 2007

Attachments

• Order Of The Bath.jpg
    Order Of The Bath.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 759
Upvote 2
Ha! I'd like to hear about Order of the Bath!

Austin Powers in with Allotta v....well, in the hot tub with Her comes to mind...

Or Famke Janssen.

Great token!

Best
rmptr

Wasn't Lord Nelson a knight of the Bath? I would think that those were officers buttons. But hey I could be wrong. Bighead

PBK might be able to help you out on this one. Very interesting find. :thumbsup: He is one of the foremost button experts here. (or maybe he just has the most books :D :D :D) Just kidding PBK. ;D

Nutting, Covent Garden, London. "Tria iuncta in uno" on the front. In case this helps someone research this.

Thanks all

Here is the infos I found on the Net:

The Order of the Bath is a British order of chivalry founded by George
I on 18 May 1725. The name derives from the ancient ceremony wherein
individuals participated in a vigil of fasting, prayer, and bathing on
the day before being knighted. Apart from the Sovereign and the Great
Master, before 1815 there were a maximum of thirty six 'Knights of the
Bath' (K.B.). After 1815 the number of classes and members were
increased several times; the Order now includes three classes in civil
and military divisions. The Order's motto is Tria juncta in uno (Latin
for "Three joined in one"), a reference to either the union of
England, Scotland and Ireland, or to the Holy Trinity. The Order is
the fourth-most senior in the British honours system, after Order of
the Garter, Order of the Thistle, and Order of St Patrick. The last of
the aformentioned Orders—which relates to Ireland, no longer a part of
the United Kingdom—still exists but is in disuse; no appointments have
been made to it since 1934.

Really need help of PBK!!!

Evolution said:
PBK might be able to help you out on this one... maybe he just has the most books :D :D :D) Just kidding PBK. ;D

Well, it's not listed in Horton Hears a Who or The Little Engine That Could. :wink:

Gilles, are you attributing this button to the Order of the Bath on the basis of the motto? Some of the devices don't seem to match up. It appears to depict a bird, possibly a phoenix, above a crown, while the traditional Order of the Bath emblem has the motto encircling three crowns, as shown below. (The motto is Latin for, "Three United in One.") However, the button also appears to bear a second motto on the lower portion of the banner, Ich Dien, which is used by military members of the Order of the Bath.
OrderoftheBath.jpg

The "Nutting / Covent Garden" backmark dates the button to the early 1800's— 1800 at the earliest, and 1828-29 at the latest.

GILLES, ;D A GREAT FIND BUD AND I WOULD BET TOP DOLLAR ON 1812 , WHAT LOCATION WAS IT FOUND IN QUEBEC??

Hardy said:
GILLES, ;D A GREAT FIND BUD AND I WOULD BET TOP DOLLAR ON 1812 , WHAT LOCATION WAS IT FOUND IN QUEBEC??

Found it near Quebec battlefield. (Near Abraham Plains battlefield, near St-Lawrence)

I saw on the net that a regiment of the Bath was in Quebec in 1812

PBK said:
Evolution said:
PBK might be able to help you out on this one... maybe he just has the most books :D :D :D) Just kidding PBK. ;D

Well, it's not listed in Horton Hears a Who or The Little Engine That Could. :wink:

Gilles, are you attributing this button to the Order of the Bath on the basis of the motto? Some of the devices don't seem to match up. It appears to depict a bird, possibly a phoenix, above a crown, while the traditional Order of the Bath emblem has the motto encircling three crowns, as shown below. (The motto is Latin for, "Three United in One.") However, the button also appears to bear a second motto on the lower portion of the banner, Ich Dien, which is used by military members of the Order of the Bath.

The "Nutting / Covent Garden" backmark dates the button to the early 1800's— 1800 at the earliest, and 1828-29 at the latest.

Many thanks PBK.

I am still curious about the history of this button. No traces or informations availables???
I am certain of one thing...It is an very interresting artifact!

Re: ORDER OF THE BATH BUTTON ...Hypothesis!

Some infos found...

James Lewis Basden was commissioned as an Ensign in the Scotch Brigade (later the 94th Foot) on 12 January 1800. He was made Lieutenant on 17 March 1801 and Captain in the 2nd Battalion of the 89th Foot on 4 September 1806 by which time he had seen action in India at the fall of Asseerghur, the battle of Agraum, and the capture of Gawighur – the last two actions under the command of Wellesley. Captain Basden arrived with his regiment at Quebec in October 1812. He was sent to York with the light company and in July was publicly reprimanded by Sir George Prevost for having taken “a female of improper character” with him and was relieved of his command.

Very possible!!!

Re: ORDER OF THE BATH BUTTON ...Hypothesis!

sellig said:
Some infos found...

James Lewis Basden was commissioned as an Ensign in the Scotch Brigade (later the 94th Foot) on 12 January 1800. He was made Lieutenant on 17 March 1801 and Captain in the 2nd Battalion of the 89th Foot on 4 September 1806 by which time he had seen action in India at the fall of Asseerghur, the battle of Agraum, and the capture of Gawighur – the last two actions under the command of Wellesley. Captain Basden arrived with his regiment at Quebec in October 1812. He was sent to York with the light company and in July was publicly reprimanded by Sir George Prevost for having taken “a female of improper character” with him and was relieved of his command.

Very possible!!!

Attachments

• Basden.jpg
    Basden.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 313
Order of the Bath Button

Fascinated to see your post about your button - did you ever find out any more about it?

I also found one recently in the UK (West Sussex) made by Firmin and Sons London.

Please see attached pictures.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Simon

Hello all,

This is my second button of the Order Of The Bath.
Found in Quebec.
Maybe from 1812.
Someone have infos about rarity and/or value?
I made a search on the net and found nothing!?

Gilles

Very nice button find and very interesting possibilities... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back