Opinions on the "Hydrocon" (My New Project)

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
we need to see some pictures/drawings of what your intending todo! but it cant be a waste of time if its something you want todo!have fun in your endevor! only you and time will tell if it was a waste!

A hydrocon will certainly work but 60 gallons per minute in a 5 gallon bucket is way to much water. It will surely push gold out of the bucket. In a 5 gallon bucket I would go with about 10gpm max.

nickmarch said:
A hydrocon will certainly work but 60 gallons per minute in a 5 gallon bucket is way to much water. It will surely push gold out of the bucket. In a 5 gallon bucket I would go with about 10gpm max.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/GtcYI-HoZQI

I just finished my version of the "HYDROCON".
I had the same thought regarding the GPM. But, I figured that 30 GPM would be about right. I was able to test it with the garden hose full open which was approx. 27 GPM. I still had a fluid bed. It was a bit thicker than I thought it would be but it was definitely fluid. I am headed out to the river to test it under real conditions and may even be able to run water to it by gravity flow. No pump.
I am going to try to post photos of my setup once I have given it a test run. I also trying to make it a self classifier.

Oakstrails said:
I just finished my version of the "HYDROCON".
I had the same thought regarding the GPM. But, I figured that 30 GPM would be about right. I was able to test it with the garden hose full open which was approx. 27 GPM. I still had a fluid bed. It was a bit thicker than I thought it would be but it was definitely fluid. I am headed out to the river to test it under real conditions and may even be able to run water to it by gravity flow. No pump.
I am going to try to post photos of my setup once I have given it a test run. I also trying to make it a self classifier.

That's great! The hydrocon is right up my alley.

I've been making different types of fluid beds for about 4 years. I would put any of them up against any sluice for getting fine gold.

If you are using a garden hose you are using less than 10 gpm unless you have a larger than usual line. See how many 5 gallon buckets you can fill in a minute & you will know for sure.

You don't want or need a lot of water. 10gpm max! You want the consistency of quick sand in the bucket. At that consistency it will capture down to about 20 microns in size. So small that you need strong magnification to see it. The harder part is getting that out of your cons.

Test it with lead. Grind up some lead and put a measured amount to see how much of it you get back.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results!

Nickmarch, thanks for your reply.
Yes the water line is prob. a bit more than most.
The water line I was using is tied direct to the main before the pressure regulator at the house & is 3/4 inch. We also have pretty good pressure. It took approx. 11 seconds to fill one 5 gallon bucket. I did the math that way due to simplicity. (Laziness) LOL
Your right though... it might be more accurate doing the bucket method... hope no one was in the shower at the time. LOL

Test it with lead & different gpm's. Its the only way to know what will work best.

I had a floating classifier on one of my fluid beds that worked but I didn't have a pipe going down the center.

Keep us updated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back