monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this tool sometime ago and with a fast look called it a broken chipped celt with a spoke shave an tossed it in a bag. I have been stuck inside the last few days and took another look at it(I get bored easy). After looking at it better I have realized it is not the shape of a chipped celt and you can see micro flaking on the edge like it was a cutting tool an a polish along the edges from use and what I thought was a spoke shave has been chipped down to were it would be to dull to shave ice cream. This piece would have been rectangular almost like a paleo knife blade if not for the chunk taken out of the corner. What do you folks think, I would love to hear some of your ideas to maybe help reinforce mine. celt tool 004.JPGcelt tool 001.JPGcelt tool 002.JPGcelt tool 005.JPGcelt tool 003.JPG

Upvote 0
Looks like they really worked that one edge. They may have utilized it in working bone or wood. It also looks like an optimal material (jasper) to work with. I have found several similar pieces that were reworked down to where they may not have been useful anymore. With the finer chipping on the other edge, you can assume that they favored that type of material.

pretty chunk of material and looks to be a nice scraper. Cant give a age on it though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back