opened boxes/chatty delivery guy

pennyante

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
I've been CRHing for a few months but have recently run into a problem. My boxes used to be so tightly sealed that I could hardly get them open. Now the ends are being opened and evidently the coins searched before I get the boxes! They are tucking them back in to make it look like a sealed box but on one box the end flaps were even cut. And yes, a couple of rolls have been short! Two halves each! Although the ends of the rolls appear crimped as regular there are some slight differences. I'm wondering if the delivery guy is somehow searching my boxes before delivering them! I don't believe it is the bank because I pick them up almost immediately after they arrive.

The second problem is more of an irritation, my dump bank manager told me that the guy that picks up from their bank told him that he also delivers the coins to my pickup banks. While that is a possibility, I doubt he delivers to all of my pickup banks. I only dump part of my pickups at that dump bank. I told the manager that and he commented something along the line of "Well, I guess its possible that someone else is doing *this* too". I just don't like the idea of that kind of information being shared. Seems there would be some sort of ethical violation there too. At the very least it means more people are not only watching what I am doing but getting more and more of the details of who, where, when, etc. You never know who will talk to who and who might decide to bust out a truck window and pick up some easy money.

Upvote 0
pennyante said:
The second problem is more of an irritation, my dump bank manager told me that the guy that picks up from their bank told him that he also delivers the coins to my pickup banks. While that is a possibility, I doubt he delivers to all of my pickup banks. I only dump part of my pickups at that dump bank. I told the manager that and he commented something along the line of "Well, I guess its possible that someone else is doing *this* too". I just don't like the idea of that kind of information being shared. Seems there would be some sort of ethical violation there too. At the very least it means more people are not only watching what I am doing but getting more and more of the details of who, where, when, etc. You never know who will talk to who and who might decide to bust out a truck window and pick up some easy money.

I had a similar thing happen. The same delivery guy was picking up my dumps at one back, and was delivering boxes to the bank I bought from. Both banks (different bank companies) are within 10 miles or so of one another. One day when I went to dump my coins the teller said, "are you buying these and then turning around and bringing them here to get rid of?" or something like that. It caught me off guard so I said, no the "half dollar fairy" leaves them for me at my house, and left it at that. She didn't look too amused and went ahead and ran the coins. When she was done she said that the coin guy (coin courier) wanted them (the tellers) to tell me to think about stamp collecting instead of coin collecting, or something like that. I asked what the guy looked like, and sure enough he is the same delievery guy that I saw delivering several boxes to my buy bank one day. It was kind of funny in that as he was wheeling in fresh boxes, I was loading my boxes into the trunk and he looked over and saw me. I saw him say something to the driver and point my way (probably said that's the pain in the a$$ who is buying all these) LOL!

It was never mentioned after that day. And the tellers have been pretty nice since all that.

Jim

Just be glad they don't turn around and drop your dumped bags off at your pickup bank to satisfy the bank's coin order. That would suck (and I imagine put an end to it right away).

XX said:
Just be glad they don't turn around and drop your dumped bags off at your pickup bank to satisfy the bank's coin order. That would suck (and I imagine put an end to it right away).

sometimes that can happen.

Actually, that may be what is happening given the opened boxes. I just don't know how they are recrimping the rolls so well. I wonder if they have the ability to carry their own rolls they've crimped at home some way and replace the "factory" crimped rolls in the boxes? You would think the bank itself would be upset if delivery people are messing with the boxes because it certainly introduces room for error in terms of the correct coin count. My boxes have, in fact, been off a dollar here and a dollar there. The banks are accepting the money as a known quantity because they are assuming the boxes are sealed when they actually aren't. Shouldn't there be some term of employment restriction on the delivery guys opening boxes and "having their way with them"?

pennyante said:
Actually, that may be what is happening given the opened boxes. I just don't know how they are recrimping the rolls so well. I wonder if they have the ability to carry their own rolls they've crimped at home some way and replace the "factory" crimped rolls in the boxes? You would think the bank itself would be upset if delivery people are messing with the boxes because it certainly introduces room for error in terms of the correct coin count. My boxes have, in fact, been off a dollar here and a dollar there. The banks are accepting the money as a known quantity because they are assuming the boxes are sealed when they actually aren't. Shouldn't there be some term of employment restriction on the delivery guys opening boxes and "having their way with them"?

I doubt that the coin couriers are going through the coins. I cannot imagine they would risk their jobs for a few measly silver halves. If they are gonna rip off the company, there are better and more lucrative methods than going through coin roll boxes.

I have seen some boxes that were not taped shut and the rolls had slits down the side. I believe that a CRHer returned them to the bank that way, the bank sent them to the coin company that way, and the coin company delievered them right back out that way. Maybe in your case it is the same but the CRHer just untucked one side, examined the coins, then put them back in the rolls because his or her dump bank only accepted rolled coins.

I have seen Brinks rolls that are not tucked under, but one end is flattened out on the bottom of the roll and it appears tampered with. But I have obtained good rolls that looked like this, so it appears to be a malfunction with the rolling machine or something.

Jim

Or maybe thay have a hand crimper.

Attachments

• TwistCrimp.jpg
    TwistCrimp.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 196

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back