OOpppss . . . . not such a good idea . . .

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I had found a gold flake on Sycamore Creek, and last week I went about two miles upstream, but got no good hits on the detector. So after looking the area over on Google earth, I thought that perhaps it had washed off of Sugarloaf Mountain, so I decided I was going to do some checking on the mountain. Well, that might have been fine if I'd have looked the topographical map over before I went. I started up the slope, on the West-North-West side with my metal detector in tow. After I got about 1/3 of the way up I realized it was getting steeper, not just steep, but d*%#! awful steep!

So I am like, d*%#!, I'm not going back down here, it's dangerous enough ascending. So I continued on, with metal detector in tow, grabbing bushes, rocks, digging for footing, crawling if necessary, had to chop things out of the way a few times. All the while I was thinking to myself, hey your 50 years old and your doing this, are you crazy? It was the hardest climbing I have ever had to do, but I made it up the small peak that is just NW of Sugarloaf.

Then I walked over to the last slope to the peak of Sugarloaf, and said d*%#!, I'm no glutten for punishment and headed back down on the north side, which is no pushover, but a lot easier than the west side. It looks like it would be easy to get to the peak from the east side, but I did accomplish what I set out to do, and that was reconnoiter Sugarloaf. I found some nice pieces of quartz, but got no hits on the detector. Based on the geology, (and I'm not even close to being an expert,) I think it came from sugarloaf, but it is probably something that eroded off a long time ago, I doubt there is anything left on sugarloaf, if there is, it is probably in a place where no man short of an expert rock climber would want to go.

I videotaped when I was about 1/2 way up the first peak, and am including some photos that I extracted from the video.

Attachments

• Sugarloaf 01.jpg
    Sugarloaf 01.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Sugarloaf 02.jpg
    Sugarloaf 02.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Sugarloaf 03.jpg
    Sugarloaf 03.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Sugarloaf 04.jpg
    Sugarloaf 04.jpg