Only 1 coin but good 2 hour hunt today

bighoss1975

May 19, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
I decided to hunt my lawn today and only found one coin, a 1925 wheatie but found some cool relics. A harmonica reed, 2 old Plough's Black & White makeup compacts (found both sides of one of them), a small buckle of some kind, a Basco key, some unknown item that says Carlsbad on one side and "PAT May, 2 1900" on back, 2 US Cartridge Co. shotshell heads, and what looks like a button that says "PINCK" or "FINCK" Detroit and an image of what looks like a pig??? I love finding coins but I love unearthing a little history too sometimes.

Attachments

• image-1341387228.jpg
    image-1341387228.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 4
I just researched the button. It is a Finck's work clothes (overalls) button. Their slogan was "Wears like a pig's nose".

Fairly old stuff on your lawn, wish I could see the pig button better, It may be an older sportsman, but I just can't tell.

It's in pretty rough shape n I haven't really cleaned it up yet but I attached a pic from web of the button.

I believe according to these and other items I have found, my house is sitting on an old farmstead, late 1800's up through at least the 1930's. I have a suspicion that the old house may have been bulldozed to make way for the current home which was built in 1978. I have found a lot of pieces of an old wood cook stove that has been broken up and is scattered across a 3 acre perimeter.

Attachments

• image-1271432498.jpg
    image-1271432498.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 112
If it was dozed, focus some time on the edges of the property ...lots of original stuff may have been plowed up and pushed towards the edges or over any embankments while they were smoothing out the yard.

Thanks GG. I'm trying to get some historic aerial photos or quad maps to try to see how the ground lay originally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back