tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more watches were added added at the thrift store yesterday. Most were junk, but this one stood out. For $4.99 + tax I purchased it as is. It's maybe a vintage mid 1950s Longines manual wind, sub second with a gold-filled case. The crown and crystal had been replaced and the dial is spotted, but it runs accurately and on time so far all night to now.

Attachments

• 20231122_081606.jpg
    20231122_081606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Some more watches were added added at the thrift store yesterday. Most were junk, but this one stood out. For $4.99 + tax I purchased it as is. It's maybe a vintage mid 1950s Longines manual wind, sub second with a gold-filled case. The crown and crystal had been replaced and the dial is spotted, but it runs accurately and on time so far all night to now.
What about pocket watches ever see any of those in the thrift store I got a couple of 1950 railroad pocket watches.

What about pocket watches ever see any of those in the thrift store I got a couple of 1950 railroad pocket watches.
Last pocket watch I bought was this one. Which I believe is from the first half of the 19th century cheap knock-off of a better known maker. It seems there was an area in Switzerland that was producing poor to extremely fine fake time pieces back then.
Forgery is even older than that it's believed, as in the case of the fake Ulfberht Viking sword.
[URL

The fusee pocket watch I picked up this true railroad grade pocket watch at the same thrift store I got this Longines.

Pocket watches are getting hard to find and over priced it seems anymore.

Last edited:
Dang. I need to head to your neck of the woods. Watches everywhere! Congrats.

Dang. I need to head to your neck of the woods. Watches everywhere! Congrats.
Mostly junk, but when they do put the better looking old time pieces out they're all placed at once in a pile of like 20 or more and put in the case. You gotta be there the day it happens, which is like ever 3 months or so. They stockpile them and eventually separate what they deem as case merchandise to the tub all at $4.99 ea. It's that tub I find the early LEDs which have really gained interest with some collectors. Oddly this Longines ended up in the tub along with a few other beater off brand mechanical watches, which I've not much interest in. It's condition was my reward. I like it and being the crown was replaced and how strong and accurate it runs, I'm thinking it may have been serviced not long before its original owner was no longer in need of it and ended up in the hands of the grandkids who by their good deeds donated it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back