one thin thin thin dome... help identify it... Seated? Barber? Mercury?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thin thin thin dime... help identify it... Seated? Barber? Mercury?

I have found this well worn silver dime in my years of hunting but this takes the cake! there are a few identifying marks but nothing I can for sure identify... I was hoping to see if any of you might have some tricks to help me identify what it is!

Chukers

thin-1.JPG & thin-2.JPG
Front? Back?

Last edited:
DOME? LOL

Upvote 0
i agree. you can see the bottom left of neck collar and the wings. Im going with Merc

Upvote 0
I don't think its a U.S. coin. There is clearly an "E-I" at the top left . not on any U.S. dime.I would lean more to 1/4 reale...but there's not enough markings visible to I.D.
thin-1.JPG

Upvote 0
It is definitely looks like a pistereen, 100+ yrs circulation. But diameter would tell the tale.

Upvote 0
It is a Spanish/American Half Real, most likely Mexico City mint since by far the vast majority found are from there, not a Pistareen, which would be Spanish made. they can be exactly same as a dime or smaller or even a tad bigger, but very thin, it is the EI being visible that clinches it for me, that would be the Bust side of the coin. Since you thought it was a thin dime, that tells me it is dime size, thus Half Real....

Upvote 0
I don't think its a U.S. coin. There is clearly an "E-I" at the top left . not on any U.S. dime.I would lean more to 1/4 reale...but there's not enough markings visible to I.D.
View attachment 758925

yes I see that too... I was thinking it was a B but it looks more like an E and there are letters to the left and right of the E also just to the right of the letter looks like the head of something but a mercury doesn't match it all that well... its close...

I was think it wasn't a US coin either... I don't know what a reale looks like... at least not one that is close to a US dime...

Chukers

Upvote 0
What is the diameter (in mm) and weight (in grams)?
Don..

2.5 grams for a normal dime and this one is 2.0 grams... as you can see the diameter is the same as a dime.

thin2.JPG thin.JPG

Upvote 0
OK, with that new data, (2.0 grams) it cannot be a Spanish Half Real, I have quite a few in all stages of wear and even my heaviest one only weighs 1.54 grams. So, I have Capped Bust Dimes and eliminated them, way too heavy, even worn they are still around 2.5 -2.6 grams, but I do have a very worn, thin Seated Liberty dime that is 1.9 grams, so perhaps that is a ED and not EI, and it is possible it is a Seated Dime or another type. Not sure a Mercury dime could get so worn, Barber dimes do and I have a Seated that I know does get worn that thin and to that weight you have given. Just a shame on condition of the coin. The edge shot btw does compare to what my worn Seated Dime looks like.

Upvote 0
OK, with that new data, (2.0 grams) it cannot be a Spanish Half Real, I have quite a few in all stages of wear and even my heaviest one only weighs 1.54 grams. So, I have Capped Bust Dimes and eliminated them, way too heavy, even worn they are still around 2.5 -2.6 grams, but I do have a very worn, thin Seated Liberty dime that is 1.9 grams, so perhaps that is a ED and not EI, and it is possible it is a Seated Dime or another type. Not sure a Mercury dime could get so worn, Barber dimes do and I have a Seated that I know does get worn that thin and to that weight you have given. Just a shame on condition of the coin. The edge shot btw does compare to what my worn Seated Dime looks like.

ok here is some more data for you....

I am an an area that was settled in the 1870's so that leave bust dimes out...
I agree that it can't be a mercury they didn't have enough circulation time to get that worn.
and I don't find many seated and so far the ones I have found don't show signs of this much wear... but they could, they are old enough
Barbers that I have found DO show this kind of wear.... so I am guessing that it just might be a barber... I am doing some up close comparisons at the moment (with all your guys' help) I'll post my findings soon.

Chukers

Upvote 0
ok here is what I have decided... you tell me if you agree or not...

Coin #1 (Front) The top curved part is the top of the barber head/cap/hair and the letter we can barely see is ST, the reason I say this is the barber coin is the only dime that has letter in this area that close together, the seated don't have a curve like that.

mY iDEA.JPG

Coin #2 (back) the only thing I can see is a small section of reeds... the merc and roosie don't have them on the flat side of the coin so it has to be a barber or seated and as I stated above a liberty doesn't have that shape and the letter are not that close together.
reeds.JPG

Chukers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back