✅ SOLVED One last rainy day bullet I need an ID on please.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• bullet#3.jpg
    bullet#3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 103
I am not sure on this one, its a great bullet good find, but from a few books and a look online I can only really see one with the 4 rings and its a civil war ringtail bullet, you can look it up and if its not that maybe it can lead you to what it is, but that is all I can see on it. I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
No offense intended, but in bullet-ID terminology, those aren't rings, they are grooves. (A "ring" on a bullet's body is a raised ridge or band.)

In my opinion, the lower one appears to be a "crimping" groove, where the lip of a metallic cartridge gripped the bullet. So, despite the unusual cavity in its base, I believe you've got a metallic-cartridge bullet.

In the photos, your Caliper shows the bullet's diamter as being .657 -- an extremely unusual size. It doesn't match up with any known caliber of bullet. But your other photos seem to show some irregular-shaped "swelling" above the bullet's base. Please re-measure your bullet's diameter just slightly above the swelling.

Then, post your photos & info in the Bullets category at the following link. The Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com is the best place on the internet for identification of civil war era (and "slightly" post-civil-war) bullets. Civil War Projectiles Forum - Index

Upvote 0
No offense intended, but in bullet-ID terminology, those aren't rings, they are grooves. (A "ring" on a bullet's body is a raised ridge or band.)

In my opinion, the lower one appears to be a "crimping" groove, where the lip of a metallic cartridge gripped the bullet. So, despite the unusual cavity in its base, I believe you've got a metallic-cartridge bullet.

In the photos, your Caliper shows the bullet's diamter as being .657 -- an extremely unusual size. It doesn't match up with any known caliber of bullet. But your other photos seem to show some irregular-shaped "swelling" above the bullet's base. Please re-measure your bullet's diameter just slightly above the swelling.

Then, post your photos & info in the Bullets category at the following link. The Civil War Projectiles forum at bulletandshell.com is the best place on the internet for identification of civil war era (and "slightly" post-civil-war) bullets. Civil War Projectiles Forum - Index

No offense taken, Pete .. I was speaking generically when I said 4 rings .. as in the common reference to a 3-ringer .. or is that a 3-groover? :dontknow: Anyway, I will get some more photos and measurements and get them posted in a little while. It will be here, though, because I can't ever seem to access the Civil War Projectiles Forum .. I must have "Projectile Dysfunction." I asked "Jine" this morning to post the originals there, as I know he visits often, but I don't think he has had a chance to do so quite yet.

Upvote 0
The bullet itself is sorta distorted, so it's hard to get totally accurate measurements...but here are some updated photos.

Attachments

• bulletpic3.jpg
    bulletpic3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
I have tons of 4 ringers, found with the normal 3 ringers on an 19th C range.

This was a quote from an expert when I was IDing mine:

'The grooved bullets are for the Snider, although some grooved bullets were tested in the muzzle loading Enfields.'

Mine are the same Cal but slightly taller than the 3 ringer. Both the 3 & 4 have red clay bases.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I first read this discussion, I immediately thought of a Snider-Enfield, because it's one of the very few "large caliber" 4-groove bullets. But the Snider is .577 caliber, and Creskol's bullet's diameter is significantly bigger than that.

Upvote 0
When I first read this discussion, I immediately thought of a Snider-Enfield, because it's one of the very few "large caliber" 4-groove bullets. But the Snider is .577 caliber, and Creskol's bullet's diameter is significantly bigger than that.

I think its because its fired & the base mushrooms out. I have just measure a couple of my best shaped ones at .582 & a slightly odd one at .601, so I think its in the right range. Otherwise what is it?

Upvote 0
I am going to mark this solved, and toss this back into the bucket as an unknown. Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back