One last Firearms ID

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found not far from the .50 Cal that was Id'd in my earlier thread. Was told its an m16 Machine Gun Round. Anyone know?

CAM_0184.JPG CAM_0185.JPG

CAM_0186.JPG

Looks like a 30-06 round military with the headstamp but I would say 30-06 round but I have been wrong before lol

Scott

Upvote 0
Agreed. Not a .223 which is what an M16 uses. I'm going to agree with 30/06 or possibly a .308 ( 7.62x51) which was also in use by the military in 1969 and look very similar. Would need exact dimensions to be sure. Also odd that it's got a round nose style bullet. Military FMJ bullets are generally more pointed. Is there a lead tip exposed on the very end of the bullet or is it completely encased in Copper ? Could be a hunting round reloaded using a military casing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed. Not a .223 which is what an M16 uses. I'm going to agree with 30/06 or possibly a .308 ( 7.62x51) which was also in use by the military in 1969 and look very similar. Would need exact dimensions to be sure. Also odd that it's got a round nose style bullet. Military FMJ bullets are generally more pointed. Is there a lead tip exposed on the very end of the bullet or is it completely encased in Copper ? Could be a hunting round reloaded using a military casing.

Full Metal Jacket, no lead tip

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That is not a full metal jacket military round. That bullet has a soft lead tip, and is a sporting round hand loaded into military brass.

30-06 tip.jpg

Upvote 0
Here are some styles of spire point or spire tip bullets, in other words, lead tipped jacketed bullets.
spire tip.jpg
And here is some full metal jacket bullets. Note the copper to the tip, no lead showing.
fmj.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back