One for the copper guys...

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'm trying to ID these myself, I don't quite trust myself yet.

My guess is George II Young Bust Halfpenny 1729 to 1754. Size is 28mm.

unknowngeorge2.jpg

Thanks,
Kevo

Yes, but 1729-39. Looks like a little something extra going on with the "N" on your coin, but hard to tell from a picture. Many contemporary counterfeits of these so there's often small differences.

Attachments

• ha39.jpg
    ha39.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
Thanks IP!.. There is definitely something extra going on with the N. It almost looks like it was double stamped with a B? Anyway, just for my knowledge, how could you tell it was 1729-39 instead of 54?

Upvote 0
Kevo_DFX said:
Thanks IP!.. There is definitely something extra going on with the N. It almost looks like it was double stamped with a B? Anyway, just for my knowledge, how could you tell it was 1729-39 instead of 54?

Actually, that i believe is a CT copper. Look over the bust of George, looks like you can see the "CO" in Connecticut. That would explain the funny N, it's not one.

What fooled me is the style of the bust is very similar you the George II young bust but I wasn't completely convinced it was a British halfpenny because it didn't look like an N.

Upvote 0
You're absolutely right! In my hand I can clearly see the Auctori on the Obverse and the INDE on the reverse. There also seems to be a die crack between the D and the E in INDE. I'm going to leave this unsolved for a bit, maybe someone will chime in on a variety. I'm going to try to get better pictures, there's a lot more detail in person.

Upvote 0
Kevo_DFX said:
You're absolutely right! In my hand I can clearly see the Auctori on the Obverse and the INDE on the reverse. There also seems to be a die crack between the D and the E in INDE. I'm going to leave this unsolved for a bit, maybe someone will chime in on a variety. I'm going to try to get better pictures, there's a lot more detail in person.

So many are so close it's probably impossible to ID it. A distinct die crack could make it possible, but even if you happen to stumble upon the same variety there's no guarantee it would also have the crack.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back