ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The year was 1849. My great,great grandfather Gottfried Reinhold immigrated here from Germany.
He set forth to the Rush to California with 5 others. One was killed by indians and the other 4 died from gorging themselves after nearly starving to death. Gottfried had been nursed back to health with broths. He mined there 4 years with success. Set off to the east and settled in Saxonburg,Pa. (Just North of Pittsburgh) There he 130 acre farm, a 47 acre coal field nearby and 3 homes in the city of Butler. He spent the last 6 months of the civil war with the 212th Pa Volunteers. 6th heavy artillary. He married and had 8 children. I'm trying to find out what site he was mining on. Any Ideas on how to ? ?????? Thank you, Rick

Upvote 0
I would think you would need to start with his personal records, letters, family bible and any other places where he would have written about his time in the gold fields. I've never heard about any listings of miners names from gold mining other than possibly where mining claims were filed. Good luck with your search...........63bkpkr

If you can find out what county he mined in you can go to the county recorders office there and they will have every claim owner listed for that piece of ground. Who originally claimed it all the way to present ownership. You just need to find his name in the book.

Good Luck

B H Prospector

Thank you very much. This will keep me busy this winter. : )

The year was 1849. My great,great grandfather Gottfried Reinhold immigrated here from Germany.
He set forth to the Rush to California with 5 others. One was killed by indians and the other 4 died from gorging themselves after nearly starving to death. Gottfried had been nursed back to health with broths. He mined there 4 years with success. Set off to the east and settled in Saxonburg,Pa. (Just North of Pittsburgh) There he 130 acre farm, a 47 acre coal field nearby and 3 homes in the city of Butler. He spent the last 6 months of the civil war with the 212th Pa Volunteers. 6th heavy artillary. He married and had 8 children. I'm trying to find out what site he was mining on. Any Ideas on how to ? ?????? Thank you, Rick
If you know what county and it so happens one of those 4 years he mined was a census year, ie 1850 look at the census for the county a lot of times it would list their names & occupation, and where they were living, this might be a starting point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back