??? On panning classified material

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
So, I've been cracking and crevicing, then classifying the material. I pan out the finer material, but this in between gravel I'm not sure I'm doing correctly.
Any thoughts ideas videos. Thanks for any help.
First half inch, than homemade quarter inch, then kitchen strainer, this is the material caught in the strainer. I'm afraid I'm panning it out to quickly.

OBD

image-2728559824.jpg

image-1172232474.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok Im not sure exactly what your process is. If I understand correctly you are classifying 3 times. R you panning all the classified material? I hope so. Your question isn't clear. Classifying will make panning easer and a bit faster. Take a staple and a bb with you drop it on top of your material in your pan, then pan. If you lose them you are doing something wrong, if they are there you are on the right track.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply, defiantly panning everything that makes it through the strainer and finding gold in the blacksands

Oops, accidentally pressed send. Going to try to find some split shot same size as gravel and make sure I'm catching it.
Thanks again.

OBD

Ok I see a 1/2" classifier. I assume you are visually inspecting the rocks that don't make it through for gold attached to quarts. Everything that makes it through is what is considered -1/2". Then that material is classified to let's say 1/16. Are you panning the -1/2 material that doesn't make it through the 1/16? The point of classifying is to separate material for what is called specific gravity. Doing this has the same sized material being acted on by the water and the heaver material being left behind. Look at it this way. Take A small gold flake say 1/100 of an inch and a rock 1 inch which one is going to move first in a current of water. Even though the gold is heaver per square inch the rock Just is heaver and requires more force to move.
I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back