On-Line Searching For Oklahoma Property Owners. Do you know how?

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On-Line Searching For Oklahoma Property Owners. Do you know how?

If you already know how..........then go back to reading Todays Finds.
If not, have a look at this post.

Ever drive by an old dilapidated structure, weather it’s in town or out in the country, and think: if I just knew who owned that old place, I’d ask them if I could metal detect there?
Might be that you can ask around and find someone who will know. Of course you could drive to the county courthouse and search the records for the info you need. Maybe someone at City Hall can help you out. But, there may be an easier way depending on the area you’re wanting to research.

How? You can do an online search for the property owner. Where to start?

Right Here: http://publicrecords.netronline.com/

This link will take you to NETRonline. The Public Records Online Directory is a Portal to official state web sites, and those Tax Assessors' and Recorders' offices that have developed web sites for the retrieval of available public records over the internet.
Once your on the home page, click on Oklahoma and you will get a page with the county listings on the left side of the page. From there, click on the county in which the property is located to see if the info you’re searching for is offered online. More counties are added all the time so keep checking back to see if your county is added at some time in the future.

Still interested? Good.

Let me walk you through a search so you can see what I’m talking about.
For an example, I’ll use a small cemetery located near my home, here in Moore, OK. I already know that City Of Moore owns this cemetery; I just want to use a piece of public property as an example. Hang on, here we go.

I click on “Cleveland County” and get the following list:

Cleveland Assessor (405) 366-0230 Go to Data Online
Cleveland Clerk/Registrar of Deeds (405) 366-0240 Go to Data Online
Cleveland Treasurer (405) 366-0217 Go to Data Online

I then click on the link for the Cleveland County Assessor’s Office.
Now we’re making progress.
I now click on: Real Estate Property Search
We’ve made it to the search page; there’s no stopping us now.

Search by parcel number?……Nope, don’t know it.

Search by address?…….Wrong again.

Search by owners name?…..If I knew that I wouldn’t be here.

Search by Map?…..ahhh, now we’re getting somewhere.
I click on search by map and presto, I see a map of Cleveland County that looks like this:

ClevelandCountyNo1.jpg

Using the “Pan” and “Zoom In” buttons at the top of the image, I’m able to manipulate the image to find the area I’m searching for.

ClevelandCountyNo2.jpg

By zooming in closer - streets, highways, railroad tracks, etc are coming into view.

ClevelandCountyNo3.jpg

This would be good time to make sure you have checked the “Owners Name” and
“Sections” boxes under the Parcel Tab on the left side of the screen.
Got It? Good. Lets move On.

As you continue to Zoom In, Lot boundaries will eventually come into view.

ClevelandCountyNo4.jpg

Continue to Pan and Zoom in until your target is in the center of the map.
Now we have a satellite Image. My target is now dead center on the screen.

ClevelandCountyNo5.jpg

A little closer still yet and we have what we need. The target of this mock search
was the Smith Cemetery in Moore. What was a small country cemetery is will soon be
completely surrounded by development.
We see the lot dimensions as well as the owners name. (The City Of Moore)
The red lines are section lines.
This small cemetery is located in Section 26 of Township 10 North, Range 3 West, Indian Meridian.

ClevelandCountyNo7.jpg

No, all counties don’t offer online records search, but many do. More counties are added all the time.

Now you know how to get the property owners name without leaving your seat. Go get permission from them and lets go find some treasure!

Re: On-Line Searching For Oklahoma Property Owners. Do you know how?

Thanks B J.

I've used this means to find land owners in the past.

Getting permission to hunt; now that's a different matter altogether.

Gotta get out detecting for a couple hours today before the front hits.

Later.........

I have used the feature described, but I still can't find a tenth of the property owners as there are no addresses for them. A lot of them are held in trusts with no hint of who the executor of the trust is. Many of the vacant property owners do not live in the town. The only way to get addresses...I think.....is to go to the tax assessors office with the parcel #. They can look them up for you or if you are lucky they will have a computer they will let you use to look them up. All counties are just a little different, but the tax assessor will always have the address of someone responsible for the tax bills. Monty

Excellent info Sharpshooter.....I know this was posted 2 or 3 years ago, but I just ran across it.....glad I did!

Just my luck no names given at the assessor office.

Thanks for the tip. Have used this in the past but gotten away from it due to a computer crash and loss of on-line addresses. Thanks for the post.

HH
Desertfox

Looks good ...but I tried to search online for Comanche County like you showed for place near Lawton, OK.......that county is not online for looking up by MAP.......Texas cities are a lot easier to find owners.....
I guess the old method of just driving by and asking neighbors who owns this place is all is left....

You might inform that assessor who wouldn't give you the owner's names that it is public record and depriving the public of the names is a violation of Federal and State law. The people there were probably just too lazy to look them up. You may have to submit an official form to get the info. If you do it a few times it will become easier. If they won't comply and if you are diligent enough you might even contact the Federal District Attorney for that area and file a complaint. Monty

sharpshooter said:
Thanks B J.

I've used this means to find land owners in the past.

Getting permission to hunt; now that's a different matter altogether.

Gotta get out detecting for a couple hours today before the front hits.

Later.........

sharpshooter said:

If you already know how..........then go back to reading Todays Finds.
If not, have a look at this post.

Ever drive by an old dilapidated structure, weather it’s in town or out in the country, and think: if I just knew who owned that old place, I’d ask them if I could metal detect there?
Might be that you can ask around and find someone who will know. Of course you could drive to the county courthouse and search the records for the info you need. Maybe someone at City Hall can help you out. But, there may be an easier way depending on the area you’re wanting to research.

How? You can do an online search for the property owner. Where to start?

Right Here: http://publicrecords.netronline.com/

This link will take you to NETRonline. The Public Records Online Directory is a Portal to official state web sites, and those Tax Assessors' and Recorders' offices that have developed web sites for the retrieval of available public records over the internet.
Once your on the home page, click on Oklahoma and you will get a page with the county listings on the left side of the page. From there, click on the county in which the property is located to see if the info you’re searching for is offered online. More counties are added all the time so keep checking back to see if your county is added at some time in the future.

Still interested? Good.

Let me walk you through a search so you can see what I’m talking about.
For an example, I’ll use a small cemetery located near my home, here in Moore, OK. I already know that City Of Moore owns this cemetery; I just want to use a piece of public property as an example. Hang on, here we go.

I click on “Cleveland County” and get the following list:

Cleveland Assessor (405) 366-0230 Go to Data Online
Cleveland Clerk/Registrar of Deeds (405) 366-0240 Go to Data Online
Cleveland Treasurer (405) 366-0217 Go to Data Online

I then click on the link for the Cleveland County Assessor’s Office.
Now we’re making progress.
I now click on: Real Estate Property Search
We’ve made it to the search page; there’s no stopping us now.

Search by parcel number?……Nope, don’t know it.

Search by address?…….Wrong again.

Search by owners name?…..If I knew that I wouldn’t be here.

Search by Map?…..ahhh, now we’re getting somewhere.
I click on search by map and presto, I see a map of Cleveland County that looks like this:

ClevelandCountyNo1.jpg

Using the “Pan” and “Zoom In” buttons at the top of the image, I’m able to manipulate the image to find the area I’m searching for.

ClevelandCountyNo2.jpg

By zooming in closer - streets, highways, railroad tracks, etc are coming into view.

ClevelandCountyNo3.jpg

This would be good time to make sure you have checked the “Owners Name” and
“Sections” boxes under the Parcel Tab on the left side of the screen.
Got It? Good. Lets move On.

As you continue to Zoom In, Lot boundaries will eventually come into view.

ClevelandCountyNo4.jpg

Continue to Pan and Zoom in until your target is in the center of the map.
Now we have a satellite Image. My target is now dead center on the screen.

ClevelandCountyNo5.jpg

A little closer still yet and we have what we need. The target of this mock search
was the Smith Cemetery in Moore. What was a small country cemetery is will soon be
completely surrounded by development.
We see the lot dimensions as well as the owners name. (The City Of Moore)
The red lines are section lines.
This small cemetery is located in Section 26 of Township 10 North, Range 3 West, Indian Meridian.

ClevelandCountyNo7.jpg

No, all counties don’t offer online records search, but many do. More counties are added all the time.

Now you know how to get the property owners name without leaving your seat. Go get permission from them and lets go find some treasure!
If you're in the country and on the site and you want to find the land owner there is a very easy way to do it. Simply go to the nearest house. I'll almost bet they'll know who the land owner is and more than likely can give you their phone number too. I have hunted ghost town for over twenty years and have never had any problem finding the land owner by this method. If it's a small town the people next door will more than likely know who the land owner is too. After you find the land owner explain to him what you'd like to do and even offer to give him your address and phone number if you wish. Most land owners won't mind if you let them know what your going to do. Just carry off your trash and leave the area like you found it and you won't have any problem. It has worked for me and I've hunted many ghost towns and camp sites.

Thanks, very infomative! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back