oldest wreck in the world...

I'm thinking the production of these amphorae was probably a booming business for a very long stretch in time. I wonder how competitive it all was and which region had the biggest share of the market.

Fascinating, but not the "oldest wreck in the world”. At 3,300 years old, it doesn’t trump the ‘Dokos’ wreck off the coast of southern Greece near the island of Dokos, which has been dated between 2700-2200 BC (ie well over 4,000 years old).

More precisely, as per the actual text rather than the headline “most ancient”, it’s the "first and oldest" to be found in the region and perhaps the “oldest shipwreck to be found in the deep sea” (the Dokos is in fairly shallow water).

I'm sure ocean travel has gone on since Humans realized Wood Floats. even when they misjudged the size of the ocean.

Apparently someone was seen falling off the end. And they thought the earth was flat. :icon_thumleft: but cool finds !

I'd like to see more 'facts' -- bbc says 'ancient storage jars - believed to be 3,300 years old' but there is no ship in evidence? We need to see carbon12 or other isotopic dating. This is young, time will tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back