Oldest find for me, to date! Plus some creepyness!

caius_gauge

Aug 8, 2011
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I had just celebrated our 1 year anniversary on Sunday, so there was NO chance of detecting on that day :wink:. On Monday, I headed out to a local park, and skipped the normal areas I had checked and headed to "new waters". I was disappointed to find only 3 wheaties, one was in near mint shape, and 5 regular memorial pennies. Needless to say I was a bit discouraged for 2 hrs of searching. We had planned to check out an abandoned motel spot from the 20's, that was slated for demolition in the next few weeks, It has been abandoned for over 30 years and has small trees growing around the individual motels. REALLY abandoned. We got there (daylight) and spent about 40 mins looking around, it was soooooooo creeepy that we had to get out of there, there were toasters from the 50's sitting in rust, and old bedframes falling to pieces under semi-collapsed roofs. Neat but creepy. The ground was some of the trashiest stuff I had ever encountered, and me without my sniper coil...so after a while, we had to leave :'(

We hit a park in my home town, on the way home from our "creepy" adventure, and found regular stuff, 3 pennies (all regular), a nickel, dime, a miniature monkey wrench (think LEGO size). We were getting antsy to leave, as the sun was going down, when I said I would "detect back to the car".
We SLOWLY walked back to the car, when I got a solid penny signal. Not TOO excited, I said "OK, last one, then we will go, ok?" It was 4in, so I expected a Lincoln from 2007 or sooner. When I pulled it out, it was different. It ended up being an Indian Head penny from 1876! SWEET!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IH1876F.JPG
    IH1876F.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IH1876B.JPG
    IH1876B.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 471
  • IH1876F.JPG
    IH1876F.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 469
  • IH1876B.JPG
    IH1876B.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
That just made the whole day worthwhile! Congrats!! :icon_thumleft:

Your Indian cent looks to be in very good condition! I hope you enjoy your next detecting adventures too! Andi

Thanks for the replies!

The pictures I took (then resized, sorry about the first 2, everyone) do not do the coin justice. The definition is great, with all feathers and the "Liberty" showing on the headdress in full detail. I have a few IH pennies, but she is by far my prettiest. I think I may need to get a better camera :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back