✅ SOLVED old wild west revolver frame...ID help

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Found this yesterday MD'g old newly discovered road on family farm from 1860 ish Brown County, Tx.

Can anyone help with an ID.

All I know is...

octagon bbl which is 4 3/4" long

from look of bore aprox. .45 cal.

not much to go on, but with some real close scrutiny it is doable.

Here is a pic. Currently soaking in bucket of water to remove clay and dirt deposits and will be doing electrolysis asap.

Will post cleaned pics if necessary later. See the story over on Relics soon to follow.

DSC00144.jpgDSC00145.jpg

Thanx for the help.

BW

Neat find, when it's cleaned up how about some close up photos.

Upvote 0
. I'm pretty sure it will be an Adams but it could be a couple different models. It looks a lot like an 1851 Adams though please post some larger pics and close ups when you get it cleaned.

Civil War Antiques (Dave Taylor's) 2nd July Webcatalog

You nailed it NOLA...it matches the first pic when clicking on your URL.
with the revolver laying on its L side I can match up the frame. Also screw holes line up. There are remnants of a bar attached with a pin in the R bottom corner of the frame. Maybe it can be seen in this somewhat cleaned up photo.

DSC00158.jpg

more pics...

DSC00160.JPGDSC00156.jpg

Man, that's great.

You, Sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

Give this man a cigar!!!

Solved...Adams Calvary Revolver. civil war era.

BW

Upvote 0
Tennessee deserves some of the credit too, His post got me looking at Adams revolvers.. I have to say, that's a heck of a find, and likely Confederate too! Might be some other good relics on that site to go with it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is way cool. Some of the wifes' relatives served with the Confederacy, so this old cap and ball could very well have been theirs.

Found in an old roadbed on the family farm, buried in 8" of clay/loam. I can envision it falling out of the wagon, after hitting a rock, on a trip to the trading post. Unaware they just kept going. Having fallen in the mud and instantly buried. Then wagon and horse traveling this circuit running it over continuously and destroying it. What traffic didn't destroy time and moisture have.

Or maybe there was a reason for haste that day. They may have been chased by marauding scalawags of various descriptions. The country here abouts was wild in those days. Having shot his 5 shots and racing his horse to the house for fortification and reloading.... failing to take the time to put the hammer loop back....(They were a scant 1/4 mile from the house.)

This relic will be framed with the rest and the stories to tell the grand kids...well, you can only imagine.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Bravo..... my uncle grew up in Mountain View Arkansas, he told me a story about buying old cap and ball guns from the local store for a buck a peice or less since they were considered obsolete back then. They played cowboys and indians with them and lost them all over the place since they were cheaper than cap guns. Apparently there was a barrel full of old muskets and black powder pistols in the general store. I pulled a few of them out of the ground there years ago, but yours is something I've never seen in person. A really great find!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back